Eye Care Community
Blurred Vision in Left Eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Blurred Vision in Left Eye

My husband has experienced blurred vision in his left eye, some dizziness, and headaches.  The headaches and dizziness are not constant.  The blurred vision came all of a sudden.  He was putting our daughter to bed and he remembers his eye itiching and then his eye was blurry.  This started the end of OCtober.  He has seen an opthalmologist twice.  On the first visit he told him he had a mild case of iritis.  (one cell?)  He prescribed Pred Forte 4x a day until we saw him again one week later.  The Dr. said discontinue gradually the Pred Forte because the iritis had cleared up.  Th opthalmologist said he saw no reason for his blurred vision and recommended we see our family doctor.  Our family doctor examined him and saw nothing either.  He ordered a CBC and Diff, CMP, and SED Rate.  All of the blood work came back normal.  We also did a CAT scan which came back normal.

He saw an ENT doctor who examined him and said everything looked normal as well.  He recently went to our optometrist for a yearly eye exam.  Upon completion of the visual field test, they said he was below normal limits and suggested that we have an MRI of the orbits and brain done.  The MRI came back normal.

We have an appt. with a nuero opthalmologist at Cleveland Clinic tomorrow.  Can you please help me come up with some questions I should be asking or more testing that can be done.  I don't want to tell the doctor how to do his job.  I just want to be more proactive and try something.  We have not tried anything yet except the Pred Forte.

My husband had Lyme Disease over 15 years ago and was treated aggressively with antibiotics for over a year.  I don't know if this has anything to do with his eye problem or not.  I just thought I would mention it.  My husband went to over 26 doctors  and 4 years before he was diagnosed.  We don't want to have to go through this again.  Thanks for letting me debrief!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I believe all you will need to do is relay the above information. Take copies of all lab and x ray reports. Take copies of medical records and consultants reports. Most neuroophthalmoloigst want to look at the MRI's themselves not just the report so taking copies of the MRI would be helpful and save time. The hospital will normally make copies for you to take without extra charge. Take the visual field exam. You're in good hands. They will get to the bottom of this.

JCH III MC