Eye Care Community
Blurred Vision right eye getting worse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Blurred Vision right eye getting worse

Hello All, i am 31 year old female and about 4 1/2 weeks ago I woke up and noticed the "lightening" flashes in the corner of my right eye. A day or two later i noticed floaters and then I started losing about 20% of my vision (bottom right corner of right eye). My friend works for an optomotrist whom i saw that day. He suspected retinal detachment. He did a field of vision test and took pictured which showed  a "puckered" macula. He recommended I see a Opthamologist, which I did that day. They did all kinds of tests and found nothing (not even a sign of the puckered macula). My vision progressively got worse. I had lost about 60% within one week. I went to the ER and had CT scan done just to rule out tumors....all clear. I also had an MRI done. I then went to went to a neuroopthamologist and he looked at my MRI films and said my optic nerve was a "little" inflamed so therefore I have Optic Neuritis. He started me on IV steroids and pills to take at home. After 1 week of the steroids, there was no change. Back to doc and he said nerve looks better than last time so we did angiogram and he determined after consulting a colleague (out of pure frustration) that I have Retinal Vasculitis and refers me to a different doc. I go seee new doc and ask if he still agrees it is Retinal Vasclitis and he says "no, why did Dr...... tell you that?" Em, yes, I say. Then he backs up and retraces his steps to agree with the previous doctor  but he is more apt to say Optic Neuritis.
So, I am still on steroids and my vision is no better, actually might be worse! Right now i suffer blurred vision in about 90% of my eye, headaches, dizziness, balance issue, my eye hurts lately too. What is going on??
All tests are negative, blood work negative, ultrasound of the eye negative...................eye looks extremely healthy
Feel like I'm getting the runaround and i am losing my mind.
Go to www.emedicine.com and read the section about optic neuritis. The way you had your onset is pretty much classic. Often no underlying cause can be found. Most people get better over 6-12 weeks, some get back to normal, a few show no improvement and have permanent poor vision.

JCH MD
Thank You. It's just the doc said that the inflammation wasn't "THAT" bad, doesn't seem like my vision should be getting worse while on the steroids.
Wish you the best of luck.

JCH MD
Hi!  I'm going through the same experience and wonder how you've come along since this post in Feb '10.  Any improvement?  Diagnosis?  Treatments?

Thanks,
ronz28
-