Eye Care Expert Forum
Blurred Vision

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Blurred Vision

I'm 42 and working on computer at the same job for 19 years. In january I had some blurred vision and got a magnifier for my computer screen which helped until 6 mos. later. In july after a few hours at work it came back and I was out of work for 1 1/2 mos. For 2 1/2 weeks I had blurred vision about 80% of the time until it slowly went away. I've seen my primary physician for all blood work, 2 ophthalmologists, 2 neuro-ophthalmologists, and MRI was fine. They just tell me it is eye strain. Went back to work and about 2 wks. later had a blurred moment driving home from work. I'm in vision therapy currently and was working part time because I couldn't handle the therapy and work in same day. Then 29 days later (while working part time and going to vision therapy) the blurred vision came back and lasted a little less than 2 wks. Been out of work since then and plan to go back after the therapy is done. Nobody has ever heard of this kind of severe eye strain. I'm doing everything I can but I have no real answers and I'm scared of loosing my job. Help.
Dear cathycat,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD who specializes in cornea [the front of the eye] as well to determine the cause of the visual issues. If you can receive a diagnosis, it might reassure you.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
I've had the same problem in the past had to quit my job because of it. Ten years ago and now I also currently have the same problem and again out of work on vision therepy. I've been to eye institute in past the condition clears up anywhere 2 weeks to six months. It is called a accomodative spasm due to stress on the eyes. Which causes the lens of the eye to stay contracted and not focus in or out causing blurred vision. I hope that helps.
Thank you so much. Thant is more info. than I've had from any doctor in the past four months. I'm currently on short term disability because of this. In today's world most jobs are computer related, have you tried or do you think that this could be a permanent disability?
I don't think it's a permanent disability. I have the problem on and off over the last ten years. It does impair my life at times and I've had to take a leave of absence from work this time. I can tell you this In the past I went to kresgege eye institute there they dilated my eyes. And found that the culilary muscles in my eyes were stuck. This is the muscle that controls your abilty to focus without it working the world is a blur. They gave me pryzms to work with which help you to strengthen these muscles again. I also have found a series of eye magic books that help. I suggest you get magic eye beyond 3d book it is helpful reading and images that work on focusing abilites. I have appt. at the eye institute in the morning. I'll keep you posted if you like about their suggestions.
Good luck tomorrow at the eye institute. Let me know how it goes. I'm just so happy to talk to somebody else who has the same problem because so many people don't understand or believe that eye strain can be so severe. Thanks again.
I went to the eye institute they said i have a focusing problem. I could have told them that I have an appintment to have prisms made for me in three weeks if it does not clear up. My regular eye doctor tested my vision at 20/20 at 7:39am yesterday and sent me back to work but as soon as i started working my blurry vision is back and terriable. No-one understands at work so I feel your pain. I'm trying to hold on to working. Cause without my job I'll loose everything. He said it's a matter of the eyes diverging this whole experience is hard on me. At least you understand.