Eye Care Community
Blurred vision after Shingles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Blurred vision after Shingles

I am a 25yrs old female and was under tremendous personal and professional stress for past two years.

2/15/10: I was diagnosed of Shingles. The virus was around my right eye, on my eyelids, forehead and scalps.

2/17/10:  Knowing the seriousness of this virus and being concerned about my vision, I immediately went to see an Ophthamologist. According to him fortunately, there was no infection in my eye yet. My vision was 20/20, eye pressure was normal and the cornea looked good as well.

2/24/10: I visited the doctor again, and everything was fine too. He gave me “blink” OTC tear drops incase if I experience dryness, which I never used.

3/23/10: After a month I started experiencing a blurred vision on my right eye. I went to see the doc, and he told me that everything was fine, vision, cornea, eye pressure, everything. He said that the blurred vision was a temporary blurriness, may be due to dry eyes, and prescribed me to “Fluorometholone” – 4 times a day for 3 weeks.

After taking this steroid, my vision was back to normal within 2 weeks, however as soon as I stopped using it, my blurred vision was back.

4/23/10: This time, the doctor told me that he has NOW found some scars on my cornea and that is definitely not due to zoster virus, and Shingles had nothing to do with it since they had already checked my cornea earlier when the virus was active. I was also being asked to start wearing glasses if my blurriness became bothersome. And was giving those OTC “blink” tear drops again, saying that this is temporary blurriness due to dry eyes. Also, I told them that I felt that there were two lumps on my eyelids, to which he told me again that it had nothing to do with shingles and could have been there before shingles which I might not have noticed before. Also, it could be removed with a surgery. – But I doubt that, because I know these lumps were not there before shingles. Moreover, I had two very big blisters on the EXACT SAME spot when I had shingles.

5/24/10: Today, my vision has gotten worst and I am also experiencing some minor pain inside my eyeball. I read some online blogs and I am really worried about my vision and eye sight. I want to know if there is any solution to my scarred cornea and I also want to make sure if I am not developing any other eye problems due to these symptoms.

Please help me out and suggest what should I do....
I would suggest you get a second opinion with a cornea and external disease specialist.  Did you use any systemic antivirals? Such as Valtren? You probably have some ophthalmic involvement with the shingles (Herpes Zoster).

Dr. O.
Thank you so much for your prompt reply Dr. O...to answer you question, yes I had antivirals - valacyclovir (Valtrex). And I will definitely seek a second opinion ASAP. In the meanwhile, do I still have to continue using the tear drops?
Yes, continue your tears.

Dr. O.