Eye Care Community
Blurry Vision In the Left Eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Blurry Vision In the Left Eye

10 days ago I developed blurry vision in my left eye.  I first noticed it in class looking at a powerpoint presentation.  The text looked like it had a shadow effect with my left eye, but normal with the right eye.  I got into to see my doctor and got a referral to local ophthalmologist.  I was hit in the face with a soccer ball 6 years ago and had 2 retinal tears in that eye that were repaired with a laser.  Neither the doctor nor the ophthalmologist saw any reason for my blurry vision.  Apparently the repaired areas of the retina looked fine.  

I do get both chronic headaches and migraines.  Other than having TMJ, allergies, and a baby 5 months ago I am reasonably healthy.  The ophthalmologist did not seem very concerned about my blurry vision and said it was probably due to a migraine, and when the migraine went away the vision would get better.  My head does not hurt any worse than from my chronic headaches, so I do not feel like I am having a migraine, and my vision is getting progressively worse.  I know that sudden blurry vision in a 31 year old female is not normal, so I am posting here to see if you can give me some direction of things to ask my doctor to test me for.

Thank you,

Felicia
Migraine induced blurred vision is done within and hour or two at a max.

I would treat this like an emergency and see an ophthalmologist tomorrow. If you live in the USA you can go to www.aao.org and find an Eye MD near you or you can call your family MD or gynecologist and ask for an emergency referral.

Primary concern would be optic neuritis or a macular problem.

Be insistent and get in tomorrow.

JCH MD
Thank you.  My MD did refer me to an ophthalmologist, who did not seem very concerned.  I even told him when I got blurred vision with my migraines in the past that it didn't last very long- just like you mentioned.  Normally I take a nap and it is gone when I wake up.  I have found another ophthalmologist to go see for a second opinion, they will hopefully be able to get me in this afternoon.  

Felicia
I went to a retinal specialist today.  He could only tell me that the retina looks great, including the repaired areas.  He couldn't see any reason for the problem, including the inflamation (inflammation) that is occasionally visible with optic neuritis.  Although he didn't give me a reason, he did rule some things out, which was helpful.  He has recommended that I see a neuro opthamologist, who I will call in the morning.  I have 2 specific questions for the experts and others.

1) Before the dilation the tech had me hold a mask over each eye and read the chart.  On my left eye he had me flip down a flap with little holes in it.  I could see better with the flap down- what does that mean?

2) I don't have any pain, other than a headache.  Everything I have read says that optic neuritis is accompanied by pain.  Does my absence of eye pain preclude optic neuritis?

Thank you,

Felicia
The last few months I have become concerned about a chronic blurriness and apparent loss of focus in my left eye. Everything will be fine and then my left eye seems to go out of focus for a second or two. It also "feels" weaker than my right eye.  I'm 62 and wear glasses but these events happen whether I wear them or not. I've seen an ophthalmologist recently as a follow-up to earlier iridotomies. Should I be concerned or not? Thanks!