Eye Care Expert Forum
Blurry Vision with new glasses

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Blurry Vision with new glasses

I am hoping someone will help me.

I just had a baby boy in January 2009. I started to notice that my prescription for my eye glasses was off...I was starting to see halos. I am near sighted. and I have astigmatism. I did not have diabetes.
I went to the eye doctor and had my eyes checked out. The prescription had not changed much but enough to where I would have to get a new prescription.

I purchased two sets of glasses. I have not received the second pair yet, but I noticed with this first pair of new glasses that something was wrong. I have NEVER had this problem before. I put them on an immediately noticed that if I looked straight ahead, my vision was perfect. As soon as I start to turn my head (left or right...it even happens a little when I look up and down)...my vision gets blurry. I let the girl know who was helping me with the fit and she said that it was normal and that I would have to get used to the prescription. I told her this had never happened before when I purchased glasses and she had another girl come over to tell me the same thing...take the glasses home and your eyes should adjust. Well, they have yet to adjust. Something is off. I put on my old glasses (because I thought maybe something funny was going on with my eyes...and they DO NOT blur out when I look from side to side etc.) I tried working on my computer yesterday and ended up having to call the optometrist again because I was getting a terrible headache trying to work with these glasses on.

Upon my arrival to the  optometrist office, they checked the lenses...no problems, no warping, and they are not bifocals. He said that the prescription was right on. He checked my eyes again, the prescription was the same.

The  optometrist pretty much made me feel like an idiot. Telling me my symptoms are "impossible" "beyond reason"...does anyone have any ideas as to what might be happening to my eyes?
Tell the office that the glasses are unacceptable and you would like them to be remeasured and remade.  If they won't do that ask for your money back.  Obviously there is something not quite right here.

MJK MD
OMG! I have been going through the SAME exact thing. It is like I have no peripheral vision in my new glasses. I have been back for 3 eye exams and 6 pairs of glasses in an attempt to correct the problem. The last 2 pairs don't have the problem as bad, but I still have eye pain and dizziness, plus my eyes just feel "crazy" when I am wearing them. What is this???
Thank you so much for your comment. I am going to take them back in tomorrow.
My eyes are still not "adjusting" to the lense. I did notice yesterday when I was dring home that when looking straight ahead and "glancing" to either my left or right side without turning my head the billboards on the sides of the road are blurry. However, when I turn my head to face the billboard they become clear...do you happen to know what that could mean?? I definately think it is the lense. The optomotrist made me feel so bad when I was in there. Luckily, I was with my kids otherwise I would have given him a piece of my mind. It was almost like the thought I was lying, but I have no idea why he would think that.
Dear Mrsmyers,

IT is possible that the type of lens and thickness is different.  IT can take one week or so to get adjusted to your new glasses.  Usually, glasses will cause distortion if looking anywhere but the center, which sounds like the issue.  I would recommend that you try to move your head rather than your eyes and see if that helps.  If it does not, seek the care of an eyeMD and get your eyes checked again along with the comparison with your old glasses.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Do you have progressive lenses?  I couldn't get used to them either and went back to the bifocals
A related discussion, blurry eyeglasses was started.