Eye Care Expert Forum
Blurry vision in one eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Blurry vision in one eye
A few days ago I was experiencing a mass amount of floaters out of nowhere in right eye. It started with black lines and then it turned into black dots - looked like bugs were flying around. The floaters (black images) went away but the next day I had a blurred, foggy kind of vision out of my eye.  I went to an ophthalmologist.  He checked to make sure there wasn't a tear. He informed there wasn't but I am a prime candidate for getting one because of the amount of floaters I experienced. He warned me of what to pay attention to just in case a tear happens. When I asked him why I still have blurred vision he said it was because I have one huge floater still there in the middle of my eye.  How can this be a "floater" if it isn't moving, looks nothing like the other floaters I experienced, and looks more like a whitish film over my eye? It is extremely annoying. I can get used to the black floaters I had that move across my vision, but this constant blur in front of my eye is driving me nuts.
Based on your description, it sounds like you may have a posterior vitreous detachment, which is a normal age-related change where the supporting tissue inside your eye (known as vitreous) becomes separated off the retina and a residual ring down the middle persists on the order of weeks to months.  Over time, gravity will drag the ring of tissue (which is suspended in the surrounding vitreous since the tissue starts out in the solid form but liquefies over time) out of your line of sight.  Since this tends to happen on its own, surgery is generally not recommended, however usually it is a good idea to repeat the dilated exam 6 weeks from the initial visit to be sure there isn't any concurrent retinal tears/holes, especially if the floaters persist.  Be patient and the symptoms should steadily improve but return to your ophthalmologist if you think the symptoms are worsening either with increase black floaters, flashing lights, or worsening vision.
Thank you for your reply. I do have a follow up appointment in a few weeks. Hopefully this cloudiness dissipates.
I wanted to follow-up on my eye condition.  I am still experiencing blurred vision in my right eye - it is extremely noticeable in dim light. My ophthalmologist has rechecked it twice and he sees nothing in the physical exam (no tears), but he said my field vision test did not come out right in that eye.  He referred me to a neurological ophthalmologist.  I will be seeing this new doctor in a few weeks.