Eye Care Expert Forum
Blurry vision that comes and goes in right eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

In recent months, there has been a marked increase in "floaters" and the vision in my right eye goes very blurry several times a day.  While the episodes of blurring is always in my right eye, most the floaters are in my left.  Do these things warrant a trip to a doctor?  Or might they just be due to being tired and getting older?

Just for context... I'm 34, female, I've had 2 kids in the last 2.5 years.  My bloodwork has been a bit odd (high sed rate, low ferritin and D, high RDW, and a few other things I can't remember) and my doctor is suspicious of cushing's syndrome because I developed a hump on my upper back and my skin became extremely thin and tears easily and I have extreme fatigue.  A urine test for cushing's was negative, though... so who knows.

I haven't mentioned my eyesight issues to my doctor because I thought it may just be 'normal' stuff.  But it's really annoying.. and weirdly consistent with only being my right eye..  Fortunately, my left eye never goes blurry so I'm still able to function when the right one blurs. I wear glasses and have since high school.  My optometrist once told me that I have slight astigmatism. I've tried eye drops, thinking this all was the result of dry eyes but it doesn't make a difference.  Um... that's about all I can think to share.

Thank you so much for your time!!

Dear Midwesternmom,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD due to your abnormal sed rate and vision issues.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
I THINK YOU NEEED TO SEE A DOC TO EXAMINE YOUR RETINA AND THE VITREOUS FLUID IN LT EYE AND TO CHECH YOUR RT EYE INTRA OCUAR PRESSURE, IT,S ALWAYS BETTER TO SEEK PROPHILACTIC ADVICE INSTEED OF GETTING AN EYE PRIBLEM LATER ON. HIPFULLY HELPFULL.
Thanks so much for your response.  I have an eye exam scheduled in a couple of days and I see my pcp next week.

Things have gotten a bit stranger since I first posted the question.  My upper eyelid on my right eye is now very droopy. It blocks my upper field of vision just  a little bit.  It makes my right eye look smaller than my left. I have no known allergies and no signs of infection and I certainly had no injuries to cause this.  Could this be related to the blurry vision?  It makes me  bit nervous because it looks so odd...  

Any idea what would cause this?
My right eye continues to be droopy and now almost looks smaller than the left.

I had an eye exam and my vision looked ok, eyes looked ok except for the drooping.  I have lost some peripheral vision in my right eye according to the field of vision test.  Optician said I needed to see my doctor.  My doctor is running a test for Mythesikia gravis (sp??) but thinks it is unlikely as the drooping doesn't get worse with fatigue or better with rest.  I m supposed to see an opthamoogist.

I'm getting nervous about this.  Doctor isn't sure but said it could be related to a pituitary tumor and cushing's.  

Does that sound possible?  Any other ideas?