Eye Care Community
Boyfriend with eye bad infection.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Boyfriend with eye bad infection.

My boyfriend helped out a friend doing drywall over a week ago and his eye started bothering him that night thinking he got something in it. He rinsed it with cold water but over the next few days it got worse. He went to an ophthalmologist and he diagnosed him with Conjunctivitis (pink eye) and prescribed him an antibiotic eye drop (I believe its Tobramycin) and a steroid eye drop (prednisone). The doctor said that something probably did get in his eye, and that it developed into pink eye. He has been using these drops RELIGIOUSLY and its only gotten worse. It seems that the infection moved to his other eye as well. His symptoms include: VERY beat red eyes, itchy, and very swollen. However, there isn't much discharge compared to the cases of pink eye that I've seen.
Last night it was the worst, he couldn't sleep. His eyes burned and itched so bad that it was unbearable for him, so bad that he could barely open his eyes to see. I'm wondering if the doctor was wrong and it was something else, or maybe he's allergic to the antibiotics.... idk what to do. Should we go back to the same ophthalmologist or the ER or a simple urgent care? Any input would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
It is very important to have an ophthalmologist see him for a re-evaluation. Today ideally. When he goes in be sure the Eye MD flips the lid to make sure something isn't caught up uinder the lid. Call now.

JCH MD