Eye Care Community
Bright Spot in Vision = Neurological?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Bright Spot in Vision = Neurological?

Dear Doctors:

I appreciate this forum so much for its enormous, accessible, trustworthy content.

I have a problem in my right eye, and after searching the forums, I see that many other posters have had the same symptoms. I see a bright spot, like I've looked into a flash, which flickers only when I blink, but then other times remains a grey "blob." I have this come and go before, but this time, it has last several days.

You have told many posters that the problem is likely neurological. When I hear "neurological," I immediately think "brain tumor," which is my greatest fear. If vision problems are "neurological," does that mean they are very serious? What neurological problems cause vision symptoms? Are all of them bad? Any benign?

Again, my mind jumps right to brain tumor when you say "neurological," so I guess I'm just wanting clarification/peace of mind.

I have no other symptoms. Healthy eye exam. Healthy exam with general doctor.

Since I started answering this forum the symptom you describe is one that mystifies me and the other is "visual snow".  

So far none of the posters that have your symptoms have reported serious disease such as strokes, brain tumors etc.

I would suggest seeing a neuro-ophthalmologist. If they don't find anything and nothing changes I would not worry.

You can find an neuro-ophthal  at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
See, I guess my fear is based mostly on ignorance, then, because when I see "neuro," it makes me think you suspect a brain tumor. Are there benign eye problems that are strictly "neurological"?

Don't brain tumors usually cause a dramatic loss of vision? And wouldn't there be other significant symptoms as well?

Is it possible these strange eye symptoms are caused by floaters? Perhaps one very close to the retina?

I also wonder if those of us with this same symptom are perhaps describing something universal and "normal" in an unusual way, and that is why it mystifies everyone. For instance, we seem to be fixated on the "it flickers when I blink" aspect. Maybe everyone with a "regular" bright and/or gray spot in their vision also has "flickering" when they blink, they just haven't noticed it and therefore focused on it?

In which case, if I just said "I have a bright/light spot in my right eye," would your mind think of more common diagnoses?

hi there astroturf

i have the exact same thing as you and am most curious about the answers to your questions. i too often wonder whether this is a common experience that other people's brains just tune out ...
I'm beginning to wonder if this is in fact some kind of migraine issue. Other times, the "flash bulb" spot has only lasted a day, at most. This time is has lasted almost a week. But I never have a headache. Is it possible to have a persistent aura with no headache?

I'm also wondering if there is a defect in our eyes which makes them not recover from bright light. Isn't it the SCones (?) that are depleted in bright light and have to recover before an afterimage will go away? Then maybe is there something wrong with our SCones?

It's encouraging to know that so many people right here on this board have had the same issue...some of them for many years. Encouraging because it means this is likely something benign.

It also seems like most of us with this issue tend to be health worriers. So maybe lots of other people have/have had this, but they don't become obsessed in the same way we do.
I THOUGHT "NUEROLGICAL" HAD TO DO WITH THE NERVES,SUCH AS SOMETHING AFFECTING THE NERVES TEMPORARILY OR DAMAGING THEM PERMENTLY.
i am seeing  a neuro opthalmologist for my eyes. I have AIBSE or Big Blind Spot syndrome which is a problem in the retina. Mine problem includes flashing lights at all time..but i see it mostly in the dark. At least see opthalmogist , then go see neuro/opthalmologist
I see a bright flash in both eyes at times--it seems to be one ey, but it is really both. I read that it could have to do with migraine, but my retinologist did not know what it is.

I do not have a blob, however.

As the doctor here says, get checked.
I have this too, can't understand what it is!
I had the "bright spot in vision" problem. I started noticing this after suffering from cold for a few days.

Symptom - A persistent ring/spot in the centre of right eye. When I close my eyes, the ring appears like an after image of a ligh bulb. It was especially noticable when I walked from a well lit room into a dark one.
In well-lit environment, it appeared like a grey, semi-transparent ring. I was able to see through it, but my eye focussed on this blob all the time, making it difficult to read, work on computer, or discern a distant object.
The effect is pronounced when I stare at a lcd screen of the comp.

Cause:
In my case, the cause was identified to be Central Serous Retinopathy. You can google for CSR and get a detailed description.
CSR is accumulation of fluid just below the macula, the centre of your vision. Detection requires ultra-sound test of the eyeball. The fluid may be the germ fighting material the body produces, especially to fight cold as in my case.

Cure:
It cures by itself, in most cases. Doc said it will take 3-4 months to go away. But in my case, it went away 2-3 weeks after it first appeared. It has diminished to a small spot, which will probably take a while to go away. However, it is at one side of the vision in my right eye, so it does not bother me at all now. Doc prescribed an eye drop to help the healing.

Hope this helps.
www.rohitn.com
Thanks for your post, rohitnwizard

Alas, this is not what I - or most of the posters here - are suffering from.

CSR, from my understanding, is a relatively straightforward diagnosis. Ie it can be seen by the Eye MD on dilation.

My spots have gone undiagnosed for 12 years, despite every test imaginable - OCT, FA, MRI, ERG etc etc.

Apparently, the problem is within the vasculature of the eye and the nerves at a cellular level, and the equipment is simple not sensitive enough to "see" it.

So the search goes on.

Thanks for your post. I ope others will come back and update too.

I am a Type 1 Diabetic, with serious vision problems, but healthy eyes. Just had an intake with a new optometrist this morning - no signs of optic neuritis, or macular degeration, healthy retina, vessels all look good.  Need a prescription adjustment, different rimless frames to help improve my peripheral vision (which is poor) and a pinkish tint to help with the difficulty I'm having reading and watching tv/computer use.
However, I am having terrible vision problems, up to quadruple vision, blurring, shaking, dark spots that come and go, and worst of all, my vision will suddenly fade out to almost nothing, blackness, then fade back in, especially when I'm reading.  
I have been diagnosed previously as suffering from 6 different types of "headaches", including Idiopathic stabbing headaches, occular migraines and cluster migraines.  These affect my blood pressure to the point of causing me to momentarily lose consciousness, memory loss, confusion and severe dizziness.  I have also been diagnosed as having Fibromyalgia, and diabeting neuropathy, as well as gastro-paresis.
Family history includes macular degeration, and glaucoma, stroke, aneurism (aneurysm), hypertension, thyroid disease, Lupus and various cancers.  No known history of MS.  
Should I ask to see a neuro-opthamologist?  With a healthy occular nerve, no retinal detachment and generally healthy eyes, I'm sort of stumped.  My line of work requires vision (administration/clerical), and for three years now I have not been able to work, because I can't see well enough, and the headaches (never mind other health complications) are overwhelming.  I need some advice... And if anyone out there has had any similar experience, please, I'd love to hear it.  
{FYI Both my parents suffer from the exact same phenomenon of the eyes "fading" - my dad has been told it's a side-effect of 35 years as a diabetic, while my mother who is NOT diabetic has been to multiple specialists, who diagnosed her with everything from epilepsy (no) to a tumor (again, no) }
My apologies, that was meant to be a new post, not a reply.  Sorry.
Dear All,

I am reposting what I've written on another thread because it may be relevant to the discussion here, please forgive me in advance for the duplication. I have suffered similar symptoms (permanent after-images reducing to small scotomas) twice after taking Nurofen Express Capsules, which contain Ibuprofen. I also see that one poster on another thread (sissyK) reporting that her daughter experienced similar symptoms after taking Advil, which also contains Ibuprofen. I Googled  - ibuprofen scotoma - or - ibuprofen vision side effects -- and found that scotomas, colour perception changes and other visual disturbances are a reported side effect of Ibuprofen. Do any of you regularly take medications that contain Ibuprofen?

Kind regards,
Alex
I have similar symptoms as those described here. One camera-flash-like circle slightly left and below of center vision, lasting 3 years. The spot is constantly there, and I can still see it when my eyes are closed.

When my symptoms first started, my doctor urged me to go to the emergency room immediately in case of a detaching retina. The eye exam at the hospital (Mass Eye and Ear in Boston) was normal. I followed up with a retinoloist and neuroopthomologist. Testing included a visual field test, ultrasound, fluorescein angiography, and an MRI. All tests came back negative (except for the visual field test, where the neuroopthomologist confirmed that there was, in fact, a spot in my field of vision that was being obscured).

At age 10, I was diagnosed with a brain tumor (cerebellar astrocytoma), which was resected. Throughout middle school, I suffered from migraines with visual aura. When I first had symptoms of the flashing spot in my vision at age 24, I assumed I was getting a migraine, even though I hadn't had one in 7 years. However, the spot never progressed into a full-on aura, nor did it ever disappear. Like others, my symptoms are worse/more noticeable in bright light, outdoors, or when looking at high contrast images.

It's extremely frustrating that even some of the leading doctors in the field were unable to tell me what is causing this spot in my vision. It's a constant worry that it will expand or that others will pop up. However, it is reassuring to find that I am not alone (most doctors looked at me like I had two heads), and that may of those suffering from these symptoms also suffered from migraines as children/adolescents, suggesting there really may be a common thread here.

Please let me know if anyone would like to keep in touch about symptoms or any updates they get from their doctors. This is the first time I have ever found others with the same condition!

Best,
Katie
     I have this problem too, ( spot in right eye that is like the spot that appears after flash bulb exposure). I had it once before ,a number of years ago and an eye doctor did some kind of laser treatment to get rid of it. This time it is much worse really affecting my over all vision. Fortunately I just happen to have an appointment with an eye doctor day after tomorrow. I also have e type two diabetes and because i have been careless during this holiday season in regards to eating sweets, my blood sugar is high. I'm thinking this might have something to do with it. Anyway, I am glad to be seeing an eye doctor soon as this condition is quite worrisome to me. I appreciate all the comments I've read so far.