Eye Care Community
Bright spot in vision when blinking

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Bright spot in vision when blinking

For the past two days I have noticed a bright spot about the size of a pea in my visual field when blinking. As soon as my eyes open the spot is white and then matches the color of whatever I am looking at. Also if I look at something dark and shift my eyes to something bright I will see it also. I feel like I've had this before but it went away within minutes so I did not think anything of it. I do get migraines with aura but its different than that and its only affecting my right eye. Its acting like a blind spot because its hard to see things through but its not a dark spot. Im clueless. I have a retina specialist for senile retinoschisis and I made an appointment with him but he cannot see me until this thursday (2 days away). Any thoughts or people with the same symptoms? Im new here and I am not totally sure if I posted this in the right spot.
Is it present in the same position with one eye closed?  If so, it may be problem in your visual cortex.  If  not possibly in the retina.  See what you retinal doctor says.

Dr. O.
Yes, it is present with my other eye closed. I've read about retinal migraines that only affect one eye and I'm curious if it might be just that but for some reason it is sticking around longer. Like I said I've had this before but it never lasted longer than about an hour. I've gone to a neuro-opthalmologist  a few years back because of the migraine with aura but everything came back normal. Maybe I need to see him again as things can change quite a bit over a couple years. Thanks for the response and if you have any other comments feel free to add. Ill post back tomorrow after the appointment. Take care!
My retinal doctor did not see a problem with my retina that might be causing this. He said it is probably a migraine related phenomenon that he is not qualified to treat/diagnose. He said from his standpoint it is nothing to worry about. What should my next step be? It has now been five days and the symptom has not let up. Should I see a neuro-ophthalmologist or wait out the symptoms and hope they fade? I've read other posts on this site where people say the bright spot fades to a permanent blind spot and this worries me. It seems this issue is caused between my eyes and my brain or even in my brain. I just worry about more of these popping up and really impairing my vision. Any advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Oh also I've read about blood clots getting trapped in small arteries and causing vision problems. Could this be a symptom of that?

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it!
I just read your post and I believe you may of got your wires crossed with the eye MD. Is this spot in both eyes, meaning if you close one eye and then the other it is present in both eyes? Or is it present in one eye only? Dont worry to much about it, I have had various bright spots that show up after I blink or go to and from light and dark contrasting colours, it also likes to show up around TV screens or blinds to a window. I know that my visual cortex is trying to fill in this spot, mine are also small and are only ever present in one eye, mostly the left. I get this every roughly every 6 months and have had it for about five years. I have seen several optometrists, and practice doctors, im going to an eye clinic to see an opthalmologist in July. However, im not to worried about it. These spots usually fade away within a couple of hours to weeks with the worst ones. They are increasingly worse when I havent, slept or eaten or im when im stressed. I suffered with migraines when I was in secondary school (high school) but havent since. Mine are just annoying me now, the only reason why im going to see an ophalmologist. There are many forums and people posting the same symptoms as me and others with different symptoms to. It seems to be  that the problem I have is fairly common. (every eye forum site someone posts the same symptoms). From what I understand, if its in one eye only it usually means its the eye to the optic chasm (more likely to be). If in both eyes it maybe something further into the brain. Try not to worry, the odds are on your side it is not something serious, however get some tests done, even if it is something it is usually treatable/curable. Please read this thread on this site. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Eye-Care/For-those-with-the-bright-spot-when-blinking-symptom/show/437885?page=3 .  
Thanks stupideye. It's pretty cool you have a positive attitude about this. I've stressed enough about it over the past few weeks. When you have the spots how big are they? And can you see through them? I've read posts where people say they fade and don't leave blind spots behind and others say they do, what is your experience regarding blind spots? I'm definitely glad no one has been diagnosed with something serious (that I know of). Oh and it's only in one eye for me. Thanks for the reply.