Eye Care Expert Forum
Broken blood vessel

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Broken blood vessel
I have a broken blood vessel in my eye. The spot is large. I can feel the spot where it happened. At first I felt like I had a bug in my eye. My eye is a little sore and I have a small headche on that side of my head. I have a lengthy medical history including Lupus. I am on several medications. Should I call my primary care Dr and make an appointment?
I would see an ophthalmologist since the primary care doctor will not be able to help much with the eyes.  If eye is sore and irritated it is probably a good idea to have it looked at.  This is called a subconjunctival hemorrahge is an usually harmless but I have had a couple of patients have quite large hemorrhages that led to other complications and took weeks to improve.

MJK MD