Eye Care Expert Forum
Brown pigment on the white part of eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Brown pigment on the white part of eye

I have a brown mark on the inner white area of my left eye. It doesn't affect my vision, but it gives me a very low self-esteem! When I'm talking to people, they stare at it, and I feel so bad! I was not born with it, but I have it since when I was a child. I know the stain is on the thin membrane of my eye because I can move it using a cotton swab. Is it possible to have a surgery to remove it?  
Most likely the spot is a benign 'freckle' or 'nevus' of the conjunctiva, the thin membrane over the eyeball (sclera). See an ophthalmologist to evaluate it. If it's totally benign your insurance may not authorize the removal for what would be purely cosmetic reasons.

JCH MD Ophthalmologist Eye MD
Thanks for your answer, but if is just for cosmetic reasons is it possible to remove it?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Yes, most likely it can be removed but if its just for cometic reasons and done without your insurance carrier's approval you will pay all expenses yourself and when you add them all up it will be expensive.

JCH MD
Is the surgery painful or could it possibly affect someone's vision?  
Usually "no" and "no".

JCH III MD
I am 25 yers old and I just developed a black spot on my eye. I made an dr appoint,ent to have it checked out. I have read that this could be an early indication of MS. I do know that certain health conditions health are manifested in the eyes (i.e. blood shot can be high blood pressure, early signs of stroke) I would like to hear your comments on such diagnosis.
Your information is TOTALLY off. Dark spots on the eye are not an indiation of multiple sclerosis. Most are simply collections of pigmented cells like moles or freckles on the skin.

JCH III MD
I am 14 years old and since the time I left 2nd grade I believe I developed a brown spot on the white part of my eye. I'm unsure as to if it's dangerous or not, and also people always point it out. Like your answer to Srh6 is it just a "freckle" on my eye?
The answer is the same:

JCH MD Ophthalmologist Eye MD
What is the procedure for removing brown spots visible on the sclera?  Who do you recommend to perform this type of cosmetic operation?  How long, on average, is the recovery?
And about how much will the surgery cost, since it is not usually covered by insurance?
One more question, any negatives to this surgery?
1. Only an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) can do this surgery.
2. Only an ophthalmologist can determine if it needs to be removed for diagnostic reasons.
3. The recovery is usually nill which means you're back at work doing what you want to do the next day. Drops likely 3-4 times/day for 7-10 days. Maybe no swimming but things like running, golf, manual labor okay.
4. The cost will vary depending on the size, location and technique necessary to remove it.
5. Any surgery has negatives: cost, risks of infection, bleeding, scar formation, reoccurence. Risks are usually small but SURGER IS NEVER WITHOUT RISKS. (Many people prefer to think the "common" surgery is risk free. Never has been, never will be.

JCH III MD
Thank you for replying to my questions so soon.  To clarify my questions, could you recommend particular ophthalmologists (ATL, NYC, or LA) who are able to perform the procedures and what happens during the operation to whiten the eyes?
What if the spots has raised areas, similar to small bubbles?
If the areas are "bubbles" then they may be subconjunctival cysts, when are easily and painlessly drained in the office but, like crabgrass, have a tendency to reoccur.

You can find an opthalmologist by going to the website of the American Academy of Ophthalmology www.aao.org and using the Find An Eye MD feature to find an Academy ophthalmologist in any of these cities.

JCH III MD
A related discussion, Tiny brown spot on the white part of my Eye was started.
A related discussion, how to remove a brown spot in the eye was started.
A related discussion, freckle surgery was started.
A related discussion, Bilateral Minimal sub-Conjunctival pigmentation was started.
A related discussion, Natural Remedies for brown spots on white part of eyes? was started.