Eye Care Community
Brown spots on sclera

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Brown spots on sclera

Hi, my husband has brown spots on the sclera of the eye.  I have read other comments regarding this being a normal thing.  I was just wondering if there are procedures that can eliminate this pigmentation in the sclera or treatments.  He has consulted with opthalmologists and they say that he has perfect eye sight and that there is nothing wrong with his eyes.  I would like it if he didn't have these spots, people confuse it with a liver disease.  I hope you can help. Thanks!!
These spots are common, more common in darly complected individuals and normal in blacks.  They are only removed if they exhibit growth or appearance that might suggest a malignant change (which is rare). Because removal would be cosmetic in other cases normally insurance will not cover removal.

JCH III MD
Sorry about that. I have the same pigmentation in my eye. Do you know if these would help? or work?
It would likely not be helpful. See an eye MD. It may be worth the cost to you to remove it for cosmetic reasons if you're that stuck on it.

JCH IIIMD
well I was wondering my 5 month old grandson a twin has a little brown spot on his eye. my niece noticed it and we are wondering what it is what is it called and is this dangerous to our grandson in anyway we were told it was a diease of some sort.
Most of these are like birthmarks or normal pigmentation. Ask your pediatrician to look at it to see if it warrants a referral to an ophthalmologist.
JCH MD
Hi, i have had a small Brown spot on my left eye sclera, but during last year i was studying too much for my masters course and now its size is much bigger, almost double and much darker , and it seems its still growing. I really dont wanna do surgery but just wondering if there is anyway to stop it from growing and getting bigger. also ive heard there are some treatments which some white color  liquids being injected on the sclera to cover the brown part, i really appreciate if you can give me some information about it.
I am not a doctor but I use more organic herbs and vitamins before taking drugs which are not going to cure anything.I to have the brown spots and all a doctor will tell you is that it is pigment. Not true I recently discovered that its is from the cause of worms attatched to the back of the eye. For some reason more blacks have this condition. It may be to excessive eating of uncooked pork. I suggest that you find a homeopathic doctor for your overall living and care and trusting in god.
Hi, I recently developed a spot in the white part of my eye right next to the iris. It was slightly red when it first developed, and now it is a faint brown. Is there anyway to get rid of it?
Herbs are great for many people but before you freak out every body you make it sound like all spots are from worms. Not true. I suggest you do more studying before posting something like that. As for trusting in God which is always a capital G trust is goog God also gives knowledge. Tell that to the parents whos children have died from just prayer. God also provides common sense, which by reading your post you are lacking some.
if you are guessing , you need to shut your mouth.All different races of people get brown spots,but not all races get wrinkled and bald young.Do your reasearch.
Is it more likely to be cancerous if it continues to grow?