Eye Care Community
Bug in Eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Bug in Eye

I was running last night and a bug (size of a fruit fly) flew into my eye.  I tried desperately to remove it immediately, and despite the tears, I could not get it out.  I ran the rest of the way home and attempted to remove it in front of a mirror.  I doused my eye generously with visine and eventually was able to remove it from the corner of my eye (near my nose) with a tissue.  It looked like I removed the entire bug, but today my eye is quite red and the typical light-pink "skin" in the corner of my eye is swollen and red.  

Is this typical since I overused visine to flush the bug out, and is the irritation feeling typical as well, since the bug was wedged in there (in the "skin" area) for 10-15 minutes?  Should I call an eye doctor to have it checked out or am I overreacting?
If there is pain or decrease vision see an ophthalmologist, if not expect the redness to decline over the next two to three days. If not see an Eye MD

JCH MD