Eye Care Expert Forum
Bump near eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Bump near eye

Hi all,

So I had this bump near my eye that based on a bit of research I thought was a stye. It looked like a pus bump and I used to squeeze it. It seems I may have been mistaken though since I just saw that the stye is on your eye lid...my bump was where you see the red dot in this image http://imgur.com/pVpPY.

So this morning, still thinking it was a stye, I put some warm water on it when I was in the shower. By 4pm, it looked like there was a second bump right beside it. You know when you get 2 pimples very close to each other and it becomes a monster volcano pimple with two holes? Well it looked like that was going to happen so despite reading that I shouldn't squeeze it, I proceeded to squeeze it. I saw some whitish yellowish substance starting to come out but I ignored that. Finally I gave one final grand squeeze-push and out came this thing! I don't know what it is...if it's actually hardened pus or what. I'm not even sure if an eye forum is the best place to look for answers but any light someone could shed on what this actually is would be helpful!

Pictures here:
http://imgur.com/a/BqSeR#0

Also, it's worth a mention that there was no bleeding after I finished squeezing so I'm not convinced that it was a real pus bump...weird!

Xavier
Based on the location you indicated, it may in fact not be a stye but inflammation or infection along your nasolacrimal duct (tear drainage system).  I would recommend seeing an ophthalmologist to evaluate to see if you need antibiotics or additional evaluation by an oculoplastic surgeon.  
Thanks for the quick reply man! I appreciate it.