Eye Care Expert Forum
Burning in corner of the eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Burning in corner of the eye

I have a twofold problem, the first is that I have an extremely intense phobia of stuff to do with my eyes, espeically anything coming near my eyes/eyelids and touching it.

This is coupled with me now having a hopefully minor eye problem, for several weeks there has been a burning sensation in one of my eyes, barely existant in the other. There is a slight reddening at the outer corner of the eye when one looks closely, only very close to the eyelid . When I finally got to see my GP about the condition I suspected it was a dry eye and he agreed after seeing the eye didn't look inflamed to him. Are these symptoms in line with a dry eye?
This does sound like dry eye, but there are many types of dry eye. Mainly there are aqueous deficiency and mucous deficiency dry eye types. Best way to treat the first is with tear drops. Best way to treat the seconds type is with good lid hygiene, good omegas and sometimes with oral doxycycline pills.
Sincerely,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
Thanks for the quick and comprehensive answer Dr McGarity.

Due to the problem with touching my eyes, which also makes applying eye drops difficult and ointments/gels impossible, I am using an over the counter spray.

The pain from the burning and the weird sensation are not that severe, but rather annoying, though it has so far not kept me from working (I work long hours on the computer). I am, however, just a bit worried about any damage to my eyes.

I take it from your reply that burning, eye reddening and stinging are in line with dry eye though and should not pose any danger to my eye?

And also that treating it with a tear spray plus lid hygiene should probably prevent it from getting worse? When I asked my doctor about using compresses, he said that he probably wouldn't do that, but it shouldnt hurt either, I assume. Omegas are likely omega3 fatty acids?

Sorry for the many followup questions and thanks again for your help.

Just quickly bumping these questions I had - not meaning to be annoying, so if you (or anybody else wanting to answer them) just didn't have the time so far, I apologise! (I had forgotten to fill in the "To" field before submitting, hence the bumping).
The answer to all of your last questions: yes (x4).
Best wishes,
Timothy D. McGarity, M.D.
tmcgaritymd.com