Eye Care Community
CHRPE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

CHRPE

When we found out my son had CHRPE we were told to see a gastroenterologist right away. His are in both eyes and too numerous to count. This was at the age of 10 months. His 3rd colonoscopy is scheduled for next month. He is being watched for colon cancer (FAP or GS) and has been already diagnosed with childhood polyposis. Polyps removed at the age of 4 years. I am very lusky to have the opthamologist we do, so we know what is ahead of us. Not a good thing knowing your son will have colon cancer, but at least we have a jump on it - thanks to the recommendation of our opthamologist!

This discussion is related to CHRPE.
another reason to see an ophthaljologist rather than an optometrist.

CJH MD
I am scheduled for such a treatment in a week. What does the laser actually do in this case? Could it do more harm than good?
Cauterizes retina tissue to stop bleeding and dry up fluid (edema). It has risks which should be explained along with the benefits by your Eye Surgeon

JCH MD
I am an optometrist and I have worked in several optometry and ophthalmology offices. I object to Dr. Hagen's comment above, "another reason to see an ophthaljologist [sic] rather than an optometrist." I have met excellent, thorough and wise doctors in both professions, and I have met lazy and poor doctors in both professions. In my years working for ophthalmologists, I uncovered dozens of retinal lesions and other pathology missed in prior exams by our ophthalmologists. Before I began work at one clinic, the MDs avoided dilating their patients' eyes, in order to make the exam go quicker. Now that I have my own office, I frequently refer my patients for follow-up by ophthalmologists whom I know do an excellent job. Nevertheless, I know from personal experience that generalizations such as the one made by Dr. Hagen are misinformed and unwarranted.
What is an ophthaljologist?
I went to the eye specialist because my eye care referred me.  Specialist told me that I have CHRPE in my left eye.  As far as I understood the CHRPE on the website is there is connection to the bowel cancer.  And the bowel cancer symptoms are irratation of bowel movement, diarrhea and so on.  I have hemorrhoids and I have history of cancer.  Should I see doctor of this case?