Eye Care Expert Forum
CHRPE

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

CHRPE

2/22/09  I was told I had a CHRPE in my left eye.   I went on line to find out more info on CHRPE on 5/7/09.  I found out about the connection between colon cancer and CHRPE.  I had a colonoscopy on 5/6/09.  I don't know why I waited to find out about the CHRPE until after my colonoscopy on 5/6/09 but that's what I did.  I didn't have any polyps and the Doctor said I was healthy and I wouldn't need to see him again for 10 years unless I had symptoms.  Should I bring the CHRPE to the attention of my Doctor.  Does having a CHRPE put me at greater risk for colon cancer.
  • Eye Health (1 replies):
    5 years ago a very large CHRPE was found in my right eye...[more]
  • Eye Lesion (2 replies):
    I had a routine eye exam the other day and was told by m...[more]
  • chrpe (1 replies):
    My 15 year old daughter has been diagnosed with numerous...[more]
  • CHRPE (6 replies):
    When we found out my son had CHRPE we were told to see a...[more]
  • Freckle on Retina (1 replies):
    I am 25 years old, and was told 2 days ago by the doctor...[more]
The CHRPE lesions seen in FAP or Familial Adenomatous Polyposis are usually multiple, smaller and with some "fishtailing" of the  poles.  In your case, the GI doctor was  looking so see if you  have FAP or colon cancer or colon polyps.  In FAP, there is usually a very strong family history that is quite obvious.  In the end, as ophthalmologists, it is our job to refer you to the GI doctor they can take it from there.  There's not much more we can do other than report the single or  multiple CHRPE lesions we saw.  I see solitary CHRPE lesions all the time but have never had a patient also have FAP - but I've never seen a patient with multiple CHRPE's.  Talk to your ophthalmologist and GI doctor and discuss the nature of your CHRPE and your risk for colon cancer in the future.  Generally, if you really had FAP, you might have had multiple lesions already show up on your colonoscopy.  Please post your question on the GI forum also to see what they say.

Michael Kutryb, MD