Eye Care Expert Forum
CORRECTION: Is it safe to re-use an open vial of UNpreserved eyedrops f...
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

CORRECTION: Is it safe to re-use an open vial of UNpreserved eyedrops for dry eye?

(This corrects post I just did -- sorry for my cut & past error in original question!)

I read with interest Dr. Hagan's article on dry eye.  I've not been re-using my UNpreserved eyedrop vials more than a few hours because of concerns for re-using such drops.  (I "cheat" & re-use over 3-4 hrs due to their high cost.)

Dr. Hagan's useful article seems to imply that open UNpreserved drops may be re-used during a 24 hour period.  However, (at least as it appeared in my browser) there seems to be a typo such because it reads that "preserved" vials may be used for 24 hours.

I'd sure appreciate clarification by Dr. Hagan or another physician, and whether this info is based on clinical experience or peer-reviewed literature.  (I do believe in clinical experience, but the evidence level is nice to know).  Of course, let's presume the tip of the vial is kept clean.  I usually cantilever my vials over a counter edge where they will not get bumped.  As a tip to the doc & fellow-sufferers:  I discovered that one can also use the inner portion of a "bomber" cup that can be purchased at many liquor stores - the inner portion is so short that a vial can be stood upright without touching the "glass."

Thank you!
Tags: dry eye
1573381_tn?1296151159
You are doing fine.  I recommend for patients to not use unpreserved drops left overnight but likley OK to use them the day you open the vial.  Hope that helps.

HV
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker