Eye Care Community
CPAP eye damage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

CPAP eye damage

I have always had perfect vision but recently I started using a CPAP machine and my eye started hurting in the mornings. One day I woke up and my right eye was swollen shut and I was almost blind in both eyes while I was getting dressed to go to the hospital my left eye got considerable better. I went to the doctor who was convinced that it was diabetes that caused the problem, thing is I don’t have diabetes or high blood sugar. Y eye improved over a week’s time but never got back to 20/20. Now I have to wear glasses because I am a peace officer and need my vision to be perfect. Every once in a while I will wake up and my eye will be very sore and dry. I know I need the CPAP but I don’t want to go blind.

This discussion is related to CPAP MACHINE.
There are two possible solutions: move to one of the new mini CPAP masks.  Second use Refresh PM ointment in both eyes at bedtime and Refresh or Systane ULTRA artifical tears on awakening.

JCH MD
Dear Doctor
I'm having increasing vitreous floaters with the use of a nasal mask possibly related to air pressure on eyes from leaks in mask or from the air exhaust. Is this possible and any changes could help ie nostril cpcp.?Has this 'side effect' been reported before?

Dennis Jack
No the relationship between CPAP and floater increase would be coincidental.

JCH MD
you asked in a related forum has anyone had trouble with their eyes while using bipap.

I often find the highly pressurized air leaking right into my eye generally my lft eye which coincidentally has much worst vision.

Recently I sat on the mask and felt like maybe it was leaking at the top so I put straps very tight.

I awoke in bad pain to find either the strap or the edge of the hard plastic with the thin veneer of sorter plastic over it (not sure which as was half asleep and moved it immediately, My eye was extremely sore for days like I had been punched.

the eye was blood red all over.very bloodshot  (still is going into day 4) and it seemed my vision was blurred or diminished.

Pain got a better though still hurt if turned eye certain way..got in to eye doctor today 3 days after injury.

She said the clear part of my eye was bunched up where the strap/mask apparently lay across my eye. She said my vision was same as before which surprised me as I had not realized my eye was that bad and still feel it did get worst but who knows.

sh said my eye was extreme dry..thankfully, she said it would get better but said to see if can get a better mask fit which is veer hard as I need the full face mask as I mouth breathe and most of the full face masks are too big. she said to use artificial tears 4 times a day.

It may be contributed to by uncontrolled diabetes extremely high glucose for several months and I notice at time severe dry mouth so wonder if maybe I am dehydrated all over  but I never realized that this air blowing over my eye was making them dry as I dont really notice it till she told me that.

Unfortunately, went to get the eye drops for redness etc (a steroid drug) and they said I had to have a prior authorization insurance wise and it takes 5 to 7 days. My eye is so red...I am worried to go this long without help.

Not sure what to do as the mask it either so tight, I  cannot sleep well or if sort of comfortable, it seems to leak a lot.  They only cover one a year and I am too poor to pay for one.

Now I am wondering what damage that is doing to the lungs and other body areas to be breathing unnatural, pressurized air !/3rd of my life. I am not aware of it leaking into my eyes unless I wake up to use the bathroom but having it slip right over my eye and crush it like that scares me form using it but I must or I cannot sleep. when lights go out, I cannot sleep for 2 or 3 days at all or however long it takes them to fix the electric power.

Any advice would b appreciated.  I dont really see the sleep doctor..only when he forces me to every several years,..they just keep renewing my masks and tubes with the old prescription online so I dont especially want to go see him,...he has not really helped me.

I was on the wrong pressure  (13 to 17) between him and other sleep doctors over 18 years. Way too low,. I had to figure everything out myself and still no improvement in energy etc,.  Only morning headaches went away. I was never told anything about having PLMD till I remembered to bring it up after 5 therapist told me I had it kicking my leg1000s of times a night. but not to tell him they told me. I had many life problems going on and forget to bring it up. Th md he finally gave me caused e to fall aslep when driving twice something I never did in decades ever, so I had to stop it.

He did not tell me silent reflux was strongly associated with sleep apnea. Like over 1/3rd of apnea patients have it.

I thought I had a lung problem for decades till I finally was told by doctor that he thought I had silent reflux..it is different from regular reflux which I never had heartburn ever so never dreamed I had severe reflux..the doctor was no help.

But I guess I go to him as the others before him were so awful and I do not have to go in just wear my mask..at least till now.

I only feel rested if I get double the sleep like 13 to 17 hours. ON normal amount of sleep I have zero energy and feel tired all the time.

I am on a pressure of 20 to 23 on automatic. Very very high.

I am due for new mask in February I am thinking of seeing if the respiratory company can come before them and help me find a mask that finds better.  I have the smallest one they make I think but maybe in last 5 yeas they have gotten more masks.

-