Eye Care Expert Forum
CRT/ Ortho K

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

CRT/ Ortho K
Has anyone done this? I am thinking that this might be a good thing for me to do. I am 49 and I have seen the doctor and he said I am fine to go with this. Is it painful? will my eye's get used to the lens?
Orthokeratology involves the overnight wear of a contact lens, to flatten the cornea and decrease myopia.  During the day, the individual usually has clear vision without glasses or contact lenses.  The Ortho-K lens must be worn each night to maintain the effect.  As a contact lens, it must be cared for the way any contact lens worn during the day must.  Follow the doctor's cleaning and handling instructions exactly to avoid a serious infection.
Do you think it is safe vs Lasik? My biggest reason for wanting to do something is that my glasses precription are 1/4 inch thick to correct my distance vision. As my eye's change as I grow older, what changes can I expect ?