Eye Care Expert Forum
CRVO & ischemia of the eye

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

CRVO & ischemia of the eye

I am receiving injections into the eye for Central Retinal Vein Occlusion  but I have been told that it is arterial and ischemic.  I have nearly gone blind as the non-affected eye is a 'lazy eye'.   My problem in hte affected eye began after a car accident that caused severe migraines with con-current vision loss.  Initially, I was diagnosed with visual migraines caused by the car accidient.  After months of going from one doctor to another, I saw an optometrist who told me my problems were  severe and i needed to see a Retinologist.  I have been told that it is arterial and then told it is retinal so I am not sure what is what.  I don't feel that the injections have been helpful, they are quite expensive and not covered by my insurer as the drug, Avastin, is not approved for this diagnosis.  I ambeing told that Retinologists now believe that continuing injections for this conditon my at some point improve the sight of persons with my diagnosis.  I am not sure what I should do here...gamble with the shots as that is the only chance I have even tho I cannot afford them or stop them and try to get along with the limited vision I have in the lazy eye.  What is an opinion?  Thank  you.
Dear Maggie1882,

Recently, avastin has been used to treat swelling following central vein occlusion and is under further investigation.  I would recommend that you speak with your doctor about the benefit risk ratio of undergoing this treatment for your condition.  Additionally, if he/she feels it is necessary, I would ask if there is a way to obtain the medicine under a compassion use basis.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Your answer is quite helpful.  I never heard of a compassion use basis and certainly will ask about that.  Thank you so very much.

maggie1882