Eye Care Community
Can Floaters Cause Night Vision Problems

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Can floaters cause night vision problems such as glare and halos.  I have a lot of floaters including a very large opaque one, that interfere with my vision during the day but when I move them out of the way, I see okay and don't have trouble reading.  Driving at night, I have lots of glare.   I had a PVD with retinal tears repaired by laser last September.  Subsequently I developed an ERM which I think must be mild.  I was told I had cataracts in both eyes but the doctors have said that aren't very significant at this time.  

Do you think floaters could be the cause of the glare rather than the catarcts? Or could the cataract in one eye have take off since my last visit?

Thank you

Thank you
FFloaters rarely cause glare or night vision problems; cataracts are a very common cause.

JCH MD
Thank you for the information.  The inside of my eye is like the ceiling of a planetarium and coupled with my retina doctor and optometrist's opinion that the cataract is at early days, I didn't want to start down the surgery path if it wasn't going to fix things in the end.  I think I'll observe the glare when I'm a passenger in a car and see if it moves around or comes and goes like the floaters.  If not, I'll look into correction.  Thank you again.  This forum is such a valuable resource.
You're welcome. JCH MD