Eye Care Expert Forum
Can I regain my near vision?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Can I regain my near vision?

I've written a few posts about not being happy with my near vision with Restor multifocals. An incident this morning  made me "see" how much I need my near vision back, in an "emergency" I could not dial the phone without finding reading glasses and a flashlight., which made me panic even more. If the near vision doesn't improve soon, these lenses need to go. The halos, flickering I could live with, this problem is unacceptable.
What might be my best options for good near vision, my problem is definitely related to lighting, as outside in daylight  I have full range of vision. But I can't function comfortably inside as everything within arms reach and more has a blurry, ghosting, slightly out of focus look to it. What good is seeing the distant trees if I can't do something as simple as dialing a phone?
I've already made an appointment for a second opinion, the current Dr said he will take them out if I want, though he hopes it might improve in a little more time.(it is now 1 month) How long do I wait to see if the supposed neuroadaption occurs? To me, reading glasses are worse and less convenient than the progressives I wore. I need sharper near vision for functioning, as I used to  enjoy doing some intricate hobbies. It was never indicated my near vision could be so compromised, it is much worse than I was led to believe when I foolishly did the second eye, to diminish needing glasses. I think I'd be happy to have clear near vision (like when I was nearsighted) and if I could see across a room I'd be thrilled. do any possibilities exist to accomplish this? I'm assuming the Restor IOLs will need to be explanted.
Tags: ReStor, near vision
There are many reason for what you are experiencing:  dry eye or problems with the ocular surface, residual uncorrected refractive error (myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism), haze on the posterior capsules behind the implants.  If all of these have been evaluated, and you are not happy, explantation is an option.  This should ideally be done before a YAG laser capsulotomy (which opens the posterior capsule, or membrane behind the IOL), because an open capsule will make the explantation surgery riskier.  If your multifocals are explanted and a monofocal is inserted, you could do monovision (with one eye for distance and one for near), or both eyes for near and then wear distance glasses.  Bascom Palmer is a wonderful choice for a second opinion.
just want to add I made the appointment for a second opinion at the Bascomb-Palmer Eye Institute in Florida, as I travel there often. I did not have a specific Dr recommendation  just requested a cataract specialist available when I could be there , given their reputation I hope this was a good idea.
THANK YOU so much, your answer provided the most helpful information  in what to be aware of. To help me move forward, any suggestions as to  WHAT do I ask  the current doctor at upcoming appointment and WHAT do I do/ask when I go  after that for a second opinion ?  I'm probably repeating, but the focus of my dilemma is WHY does my near vision (at least up to 4 ft or a bit more) vary so much in quality and clarity with the slightest of changes in lighting conditions, from clear in sunlight (if it was always like this I would not complain) to not sharp and ghosted in the house to barely seeing even with reading glasses in a dim restaurant?  Is it the lenses or me?