Eye Care Community
Can I be on my own right after cataract surgery..after being driven hom...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Can I be on my own right after cataract surgery..after being driven home?

I may need to get cataract surgery, in one eye. I understand that I will need to have someone there to drive me home. But after that, can I expect to be on my own after I get home? I live alone and have no family nearby.
If you can see out of the other eye you should be fine. I went shopping and out for dinner and a walk after my cataract surgery, but had to go home early because I was tired.
Although I will probably be able to see out of the other eye, please note that both my eyes are VERY nearsighted...myopic. My left eye is around -5..and obviously i can't wear my glasses if there is a patch on my right eye..and even if not, the difference between my 2 eyes is too great..especially after the operation unless they correct my right eye to still being myopic but close to my left eye. Not sure what to do regarding this.
I really think this is something you should discuss beforehand with your surgeon, because, with your considerable myopia and solitary lifestyle, it may very well be that a visiting nurse or aide might be necessary for a couple of days.

Talking with your doc about this early enough will give you a chance to investigate your insurance to learn what kind of coverage you may have for a brief spell of at-home assistance.  

After surgery, I had to wait a couple months before I could get a new glasses prescription.  During that time, I wore a patch under under my old glasses.  I chose not to drive during that time because I lacked depth perception.  Fortunately, I was able to use public transit or get rides with friends.  
Could you have worn throw away contacts in both eyes until you were able to wear eyeglasses again? If I have to go with just one eye for months that would be torture.

I have never been able to tolerate contacts, so I did not investigate that option.  Check with your surgeon to see how quickly you could be fitted for contacts and when it would be safe to start wearing them.  Best wishes.
Had cataract surgery on my left eye this past Thursday. In my case, because they put me under, between the coffee & donut post op and the drive home, I slept for a bit when I got home. But after a couple hours, no problems at all. No patch to wear other than when sleeping. Otherwise, I'm wearing my glasses until the right eye is done. I could live without the glasses though as the left eye now sees better than the right for the first time in my life. :P I tried going w/o the left lens in the glasses but the image size/quality difference between the eyes made me queasy. The doc recommended I put the lens back in during the 1st post op. With the lens in place, no problem.

Other than keeping up with the eye drop schedule, bake to life norms with a bit more clarity. :) Looking forward to getting the right eye done in 3 weeks.

Hope it goes just as well for you.