Eye Care Community
Can a pinched nerve cause vision problems in one eye

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I did a search to find out if a pinched nerve or neck problem could cause vision problems in one eye, and I became hopeful to find that this very question was asked here.  I am active military and not too long ago I went to the eye doctor because I thought I needed to update my contacts because I couldn't see very well out of my left eye.  Well to find out it wasn't the contacts it was actually my vision.  Within a week my vision in my left eye became so bad I couldn't even read words on a computer screen or written on paper.  The eye doctor took many topo's and her response was that they were very colorful.  She thought I was having an onset of Keratoconus.  I was on orders to go to another base and for about a month I didn't have to do any physical activity and my vision cleared up, however I started having pain in my left temple area and pressure in my left eye.  I went to an opthamologist a few times and they concluded that my eyes and nerves are completely heathy.  I started back physical training and my vision in my left eye seems to get real bad after I run and when I wear my cevlar for long periods.  I have had an MRI of my head and everything was fine.  Some other symptoms are that I always see these cloudy black floaties in my left vision.  One day I had to go out to the shooting range and when I was laying in the prone position, with my neck cocked to see out of my m16 site with cevlar on, I couldn't zero my weapon because I couldn't see to keep my same site picture (my right eye is a bit affected as well but I never had the problems as my left eye).  Also my left eye is my scanning eye when I shoot and when I was trying to shoot my targets my left vision had these bright glowing stationary circles (kind of like the floaties but they weren't clustered and they didn't move, and they were really bright, kind of like sparks).  When I had to get into the kneeling position (where my neck wasn't cocked) the bright circles went away.   The only thing that seems to be consistent with the eye doctors is that the axis of my left eye keeps changing.  Every time I went to the eye doctor (and there for a while it was every few days), the axis of my left eye would be different every time.  I did read the reply to the original question about a pinch nerve causing vision problems, and there was no real correlation.  I haven't had any head trauma, but I have had a lot of physical enduances (such as 20k ruck marches with 40lb rucks, and I'm only 5'/122lb).  I was also sent to see a Neurologist and he put me on Topomax (topamax) and refered me to a Chiropractor.  The Topomax (topamax) helped (except for the black cloudy floaties, they never went away and even though I could see I felt like my eyes weren't focusing together and it gave me a dizzy feeling), but I had to discontinue taking it because it caused me stomach problems.  I have not yet started the Chiropractic care.  I am at a loss about what has been going on and am wondering if there really is something with me neck that could be causing the vision problems?

This discussion is related to Can a pinched nerve cause pressure and vision problems in one eye?.
Sorry I can't put it all together but can make a few comments.

1) Keratoconus could cause all the symptoms you have except the floaters which are probably the same benign floaters everyone gets and the bright glowing stationary circles.

2) In theory bending you head back could affect your blood vessels leading to the visual area of your brain but this would be very rare in someone your age.

3) A pinched nerve in the neck could cause pain around the eye (greater occipital neuralgia) but would not cause visual change.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your service,
YES IT CAN.
i had 3 pinched nerves at age 26. one in my neck that caused my left eye to water and go out of focus and at the same time my nose would start running along with headaches. my Chiropractor said that combinations of nerves being pinched can cause every known disease and ailment that man knows of. to make my point clear, my nephew at age 3 was diagnosed having arthritis . my Chiropractor said nonsense and sent him to lower track bone Chiropractor and he was popped back in. the doctors that diagnosed him said it was a miracle!!!!!
get to a Chiropractor, they use calipers to check the spacing between vertebra,
Four years ago my eye sight got suddenly from perfect to bad, I noticed that I had a lot of pain in my neck as well so I was wondering if there could be any connection. I asked my Optician whether my Eye sight could go bad because of bad neck. She said that there might be some connection but was very quick to tell me I should start wearing glasses, she also gave me a discount voucher I could use if I buy glasses in their shop! :( So, I had worn glasses for a year, I worked as a volunteer at that time and did physically hard work that caused a lot of back pain as well. After a year I decided to undertake a 2 week back treatment, I realized that my eye sight started to get better, I also started to do eye exercises I found on the internet and then I went to see a different Eye doctor (disconnected from any shops :) and she was very surprised that I had been wearing glasses, she said I didn't need glasses. I'm absolutely sure, that my Vision got bad only because there was something wrong with my neck - and I think it was a blocked nerve!  
I have been dealing with temporary, partial loss of vision to my left eye only for over three years now. This happens at intervals of approximately once a month, and the partial loss lasts about 2 to 3 minutes, then it goes away. After of about a year of dealing with it, I decided to go see my doctor. He immediately sent me to an optimoligist  who ruled out the eye. I then had several ultrasounds of the heart and carotid artery, CT scan of the brain, and everything came back normal. I subsequently visited a neurologist, cardiologist, and reumotoligist. No one could explain the temporary, partial loss of vision. I am interested in finding out if it's a pinched nerve since I do have constant discomfort to my left shoulder and leg area. Perhaps a pinched nerve ,but  the doctors never checked my back, and only concentrated on a possible blockage of the arteries fearing I was having embolic strokes.    
I experienced a temporary loss of vision in my left eye that lasted about a minute.  I was lying on my stomach in bed, reading, when my eye clouded over white.  I lost vision completely for about a minute and when it came back it was as if I had been staring at the sun.  I went to my regular primary phys. who sent me to an ophtamologist the same day.  That doctor didn't see anything wrong with my eye and referred me to a retinal specialist the following day.  The RS didn't see anything wrong and referred me back to my primary phys. to schedule a carotid doppler and echocardiogram.  I'm waiting to schedule those appointments.  I also have suffered from neck and upper back pain for about 10 years and have been in and out of a chiropractor's care.  I'd be really interested to hear if you have gotten a diagnosis.