Eye Care Community
Can anesthesia or other medication cause vision problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

My problem is for my dog - when I did a search for "cross eyed after surgery" I found a few links to human patients who reported double vision or other vision problems following anesthesia. (Google "cross eyed after surgery" for the full discussion in the forum "Is It Normal.") Of course, all of their doctors and anesthesiologists said no connection, but somehow the people found each other sharing similar experiences.

My dog was spayed, and one week after her surgery we detected problems with her vision. She appeared to be cross-eyed, or to have double vision or blindness. When I command her to "look at me" she would always make eye contact, but now she doesn't seem able to find me - she shifts her eyes right and left, right and left, but doesn't make eye contact - same when we shine a little flashlight toward her, she looks to the left or right of it but not directly toward the light. That's what made me wonder about the double vision (since she can't tell me). I phoned her vet to ask if it could be due to the anesthesia and he said no. She was also given an injection for pain that was to last for 24 hours - she was depressed and groggy and would occasionally vomit during the 24 hours following the injection. Her appetite has not returned. It has been almost two weeks. If no improvement by next Monday I will take her to a different vet for an exam.

I'm searching for possible links to vision problems as side effects from surgery procedures or medications.

Anyone?

This discussion is related to Sudden Cross-eyed Vision NOT double vision.
This is a human eye forum.

Dr. O.
Ouch. Sorry, doc. I'm aware it's a human eye forum, just searching...I'm thinking biology, physiology, chemistry, cells, effects...start from the outside of a vague circle and move inward...my question on the subject led me into another human forum in addition to this one, figured it couldn't hurt to ask since God made all his creatures with cells - blood and bone and chemistry. As I stated above, human people reported some similar experiences - maybe they should call their vet.
My apologies for the sarcasm - it is immature and uncalled for.