Eye Care Expert Forum
Can hot compresses damage your vision?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Can hot compresses damage your vision?
I have chalzions on my eyelid. My eye doctor recommended me to put hot compresses for 15-20 minutes, 4 times a day as hot as I can tolerate.  Sometimes, I have done 25-30 minutes, twice a day.  I notice that one of my eyes is blurry at times.  Can hot compressess that are too hot damage my vision?
Why don't we rephrase it "warm compresses."  If it is so hot that you are worried that it might hurt your eyes, then you should use a little lower temperature.  It is not going to make that big of a difference regarding your improvement in the chalazion.  I suppose if you used compresses that were too, too hot you could give yourself 1st degree burns to the skin.  That would be the main concern.

Michael Kutryb, MD