Eye Care Community
Can punctal plugs cause eye irritation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Can punctal plugs cause eye irritation?

I had permanent punctal plugs put in my lower eyes approximately 3 months ago. I experienced some eye irritation (scratchy,redness) right after, that only lasted a week. Approximately 1 month ago, I noticed that the inner portion of my right eye was turning red as if a vein busted and the area around it was a pinkish color. I visited my doctor who stated that the punctal plug may need to be removed or it could be allergy related. I do not have irritation from the plug and have used allergy drops and the redness has not gone away. I am concerned because some days the redness is worse than others and I have slight pain in the right eye.My doctor did an eye exam that indicated that every thing was find. Is the pain due to the blood coming to the surface? Also, can the plugs be inserted deeper? I really don't want to have them removed because I feel they have helped with my dry eyes. I am 32 years old and have had lasik surgery twice in a 6 year span. The after effects of dryness is HORRIBLE!!! I am the worst case my two eye doctors have seen at my age. Please give me a suggestion...

This discussion is related to Risks of punctal plugs (for dry eyes).
It depends on the type of punctal plug.  Some extend above the surface of the eyelid and will cause irritation.  There are other types that go completely inside the puncta.

Dr. O.