Eye Care Expert Forum
Can't see out of my right eye.. Question

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Let me start by saying I have not seen an eye professional in 12-13 years. The vision in my right eye is non-existent. I can somewhat see, but I cannot read anything and can barely distinguish what things are. When reading the lineups at the BMV I cannot even see 1 line out of the eye.

That said, doctors had me wear an eyepatch 20 years ago to attempt to help my eye. I am only 26 years old now. They also tried glasses, which did not help. About 13 years ago it was still the same. No real help. I seem to remember them saying something about a dead cell and only surgery could correct it? Is this something someone can be born with?

Have things changed over the years where glasses or contacts could enable me to see properly out of this eye?
You are being very foolish by not having your good eye checked every year by an ophthalmologist. Find one near you at www.aao.org and get in very soon. You need to lead a healthy lifestyle and protect your good eye from injury and disease. You likely should wear protective glasses all the time. By far the most common thing that causes your problem is amblyopia. Yes you can be born with it but it usually develops in infants and children. Detected early (age 3 or less) it can often be helped with glasses, patching and sometimes eye muscle surgery. If you have children your child has about a 20% chance of getting amblyopia also.

Stop living so foolish and get to an Eye MD

JCH MD