Eye Care Community
Cataract IOL Target Decision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cataract IOL Target Decision

I know Targeting Plano is common and also my goal, but seeing the IOL Master results shows me that my Surgeon (and me) have a decision to make between an Alcon SN60WF that Targets either of the three following choices:
Target choices:
23.5 IOL with Refraction -0.1
24 IOL with Refraction -0.46
24.5 IOL with Refraction -0.82

I realize there is a 0.50 margin of error in targeting post-op uncorr. refraction, and was told one does NOT want to end up in the Hyperoptic (+) range.

Information that might help determine decision:  
1)  I am only doing my Left eye that had ERM peel Vitrectomy 9 month ago which induced this 3+ cataract.
2)  My right eye is GREAT, just a trace cataract and a +1...I will not do cataract surgery on this eye for many years.
3)  I am only 57, healthy and water and snow ski...don't mind wearing reading glasses.

Based on this information, which Target makes more sense to shoot for ?  Does previous Vitrectomy have any bearing on the decision, (IE does this possibly weaken the zonules, etc. so should I shoot for more of a Myoptic target ?) ?
Thank you !
Tags: ERM, Cataract Surgery, IOL targets, cataract, vitrectomy
You should ask your surgeon.  Is he using a personalized A constant?

Just from the numbers I would use 24.0D.  You will end up between +.04 to -0.96 from the margin of error your have given me.

Dr. O.
Thanks Dr. O.
I did ask my surgeon...got 3 different opinions from 3 different surgeons, so I feel the need to "plug in" my own opinion based on additional research.

I too was leaning in the 24.0D direction, as I always like a "happy medium". I also read that without the vitreous support that the Cataract surgery may cause the lens to sit further back than predicted, so one should over-compensate in the Myopic direction with Target.

#1) Is that correct...should we perhaps go further into the myopic area?

The margin of error of .50 is what I read was most normal to expect,
#2)  is that what you have found?

Different IOL Masters gave diff. results on the same Alcon Sn
Oops, I wasn't finished.

Different IOL Masters gave diff. results on the same AlconSN60WF IOL.

What is the personalized A constant, and would it show up on the IOL Master results of which I have a copy of. ?
The personalized surgeon A-constant is usually a different A-constant than the standard A-constant supplied the IOL company.  It is determined by putting the outcomes results from using that IOL in to a program.  I use Holladay Professional.  I believe it can be done with the IOL Master.  It results in a better outcome since it personalized for the surgeon's technique for cataract surgery.

Dr. O.