Eye Care Community
Cataract Surgery Recover for Exercise
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Cataract Surgery Recover for Exercise

I have read most of the posts talking about typical vision recovery times after cataract surgery.

However, what I am curious about is how long should I hold off doing much heavy lifting/exercise or bike riding?

My surgery was 1-week ago. I also received an Avastin injection for CME that came up after a retinal tear surgery in February. Vision still has not recovered very well as yet and doc said it may take several months.

So not sure if any physical activity restrictions would apply.

Thanks,
  Mike
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Only your surgeon can advise you. Ask him/her. Bick riding is a dangerous sport (If you ride you will fall). Very heavy lifting is likely good to hold off 6-8 weeks.
JCH MD
Blank
Thanks for the response - I was thinking 4~6 weeks, but I believe your recommendation is probably better to follow given the retinal surgery I had in Feb.

I tried to ask the surgeon who performed the surgery only to find out he had had gone on vacation for 3-weeks. And the doctor who I had my first check up with, was not sure what to tell me only offering me to wait.

Bike riding falls - I had my first bicycle riding accident this Jan gave me a collapsed left lung and torn right rotator cuff. First hard fall I've ever had on my bike. But helmets are always mandatory for me and I ride almost exclusively on dedicated bike riding trails.

2011 has not been a good year. Been in hospital every month but April this year. And the fact that my next birthday will be the big 60. Not liking the fact need to slow down...

Thanks again for all your great advice.

Mike
Blank
233488_tn?1310696703
Keep trying with the ophthalmologists covering for your surgeon. We physicians cannot legally leave without providing for emergency follow up in our abscense.

JCH MD
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eye Care Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank