Eye Care Community
Cataract Surgery after RK

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cataract Surgery after RK

I'm a 49 year old female who had RK surgery in 1997.  I was diagnosed with severe dry eye about 5 years ago and I use Restasis and an eye drop for allergies.  I need cataract surgery in both eyes, the right eye first since it is the worst.  My right eye is feeling very irritated and my opthamologist says this is just dry eye and use more drops (which don't help).  Should I postpone the surgery until my eye is feeling better or go ahead w/surgery?  

Also,  I have 3 choices for the lens replacement - the basic monofocal lens, the Acrysof ReSTOR and the Acrysof Toric.  The doctor says all three lens would be fine for me - it's my choice.  Should I spend the extra $1750 or $2900 and get the better lens or not?

thanks!!
1. Cataract surgery is almost always elective surgery and can be post-poned till you and your eyes feel good.
2. Read the article on dry eyes that I wrote which is at the top of this page.
3. Often we get patients with really bad dry eyes ready for surgery by using preservative free celluvisc every 1-2 hours waking hours the week before surgery, Refresh PM ointment at bedtime and sometimes even put in tear duct plugs again for the week before and 2-3 weeks after.

JCH MD