Eye Care Community
Cataract surgery after retinal detachment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Some years ago I had laser treatment for retinal detachment.  I have read on the internet that one complication of cataract surgery can be retinal detachment.  I am scheduled for cataract surgery at the end of the month and my doctor said the risk of retinal re-detachment was small.  Is this correct?  I have been concerned and wondered what the medical literature says about it.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Cataract surgery, even successful small incision surgery increases the risk of retinal detachment from about 1 in 3,000 to 5,000 to about one in 500 to one in 1000. So yes the risk is small of an RD but much higher after cataract surgery. You will have to accept some risk to have cataracts removed and this is one of them.

JCH III MD
Thanks for your information on the percent of possible detachment.  I think I do need the cataract surgery as I need to keep driving safely and do  the things I enjoy,  like sewing  and reading.  I am glad to know that the risk is not as high as I'd feared.  I hope it will go well, and I thank you, again.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Merry Christmas and you are welcome

JCH III MD
I have had a retinal detachment in each eye, 1 and 4 years ago, requiring vitreous removal, and laser to repair the retina.  As a result, I developed cataracts, one of which is quite dense.  I am concerned about the risk of the lens falling into the vitreous cavity during cataract surgery.  I understand that the risk is higher for me because the removal of the vitreous left no support behind the lens, and the ultrasound applied to break up the natural lens can cause  the lens sac to tear.  My retinal surgeon says that the risk is very small.  But a cataract surgeon told me that my risk was 50%, and that he would not do the cataract surgery because my eyes are delicate due to the retinal surgery and my thin retinas.  He referred me to another surgeon, who uses a smaller incision.  What should I do?
I assume that you have been referred to a surgeon who specializes in difficult cases.  I'd go with the specialist.
Do you know the symptoms of a retinal detachment, so that, should you ever have one, you can get it fixed right away, avoiding dangerous complications?

If not, ask your doctor, or ask us here.