Eye Care Expert Forum
Cataract surgery and CRVO

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Cataract surgery and CRVO
I have Central Retinal Vein Obstruction in my left eye. With ongoing treatment of avastin and kenalog my vision HAD improved to about 20/30 with some remaining blurriness and distortion. However the kenalog accelerated the growth of an existing cataract in the same eye and now I at about 20/50. Given my already bad vision, if I have the cataract removed, how will the surgeon make a decision on the proper correction for the replacement lens? Is a contact lens indicated for the "good" eye?
Measurements for the intraocular lens to replace the cataract can be done regardless of the condition of the retina.  If the macula is very thick or edematous from the CRVO, theoretically this could throw off the measurements of the axial length of the eye.  If the OCT shows that the macula is fairly dry, then the measurement will not be affected.  I would be careful about a contact lens on the other eye, since that is your good eye; you want to avoid the increased risk of corneal infection with soft lenses.  A gas permeable lens would be a better choice.