Cataract surgery and options
Facing cataract surgery and restor has been recommended but from reading this site it doesn't appear there are any positives being presented.  Is there anyone out there happy with the restor lens?  And if anyone is happy with it how do I find a competent dr to do the surgery?
I have had surgery and have 2 restore lens.  I could not be more pleased with the results.  I am seeing 20/20 distance and can read very small print.  I do see some haloes at night, but they are not bothersome.  The intermediate vision is not as good, but that really is the only drawback.  I do not have to wear glasses at all.  I'm not sure of your location, but I live in River Ridge, Louisiana and Dr. Shaw did the procedure at Ochsner Hospital.  I can say the lens and Dr. have me 100% pleased.  I was very doubtful about this because on my research on the internet, but came to find out that with the right Dr. this is truly an advantage.  I feel that I do not need glasses at all, and my vision in both eyes was a negative 11 in both eyes before surgery.
Joe
As Joe's post (above) indicates, his results with ReStor are excellent.  Common problems with this lens include glare, halos, and waxy vision.  Some people with ReStor are unable to drive at night.  It can take up to a year to "neuroadapt" to multifocal IOLs, and reportedly a small percentage of people are never able to adjust to them.  Many people with ReStor still need glasses some of the time.

If you're looking for crisp vision, enhanced night driving ability, and fewer post-surgery problems, then you should consider aspheric monofocal lenses.  Check out the patient education video at www tecnisiol com to learn about the benefits of this type of lens.  (AMO, Alcon, and Bausch & Lomb all make aspheric monofocals IOLs.)  These lenses can be set for "blended vision," so you would probably only need readers for seeing small print.  
-