Eye Care Community
Cataract surgery distance blurry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cataract surgery distance blurry

I had cataract surgery on left eye 6 days ago. At the post-op visit next day, I could see better near and intermediate. However, distance was blurry. Doctor put a drop of Atropine in eye and said the muscle would be paralyzed for several days, accompanied by dilation. The pupil is almost back to normal size, and I can use the computer without glasses and so some reading. However, distance (beyond 5-6 feet) continues to be blurry. I'm hoping that's because the Atropine hasn't worn off yet and muscle are still paralyzed. When it is worn off, should the distance blurriness be gone? I could see distance much better prior to cataract removal but could not see the computer screen. It goes without saying that I am a bit anxious, as from all I've read, distance is the first range of vision that improves.

I appreciate any and all information or input. I do return for another eye visit next week...10 days prior to the second eye's surgery.

Thanks,
jefields
i can,t distance objects.can i have laser operation for it?
i mean i can't see distance objects, so can i have laser operation for it.my age is 22 now.plz give me ur suggestion abt this laser operation.
thanks.
I don't know if rajesh415 meant to post here, but his/her responses aren't relevant to my questions.

I did forget to mention that the lens implanted is Crystalens.

Thanks,
jefields
Hello Jefields.  You eye is changing at this point and no permanent conclusions can be made. After cataract surgery some Crystalens patients see best first at near, some mid range and some far away.

It's way too early for you to be worrying about LASIK.

Voice your concerns to you surgeon next visit.

JCH III MD Eye Physician and Surgeon
LASIK surgery might help you see better at distance without glasses or contacts. You would need to see an eye surgeon ophthalmologist Eye MD to evaluate you.

LASIK is a wonderful, highly effective and relatively safe and predictable operation for SOME PEOPLE. Not everyone is a candidate for LASIK.

JCH III MD
Thanks for your response. I think someone else (rajesh415) may have posted in the wrong place about the LASIK, as her post isn't even related to my question.

I think I just wanted to hear that having blurry distance right now isn't necessarily a problem. I'm also hoping that when the Atropine wears away, things will improve even more as the muscles can move and focus.

Again...thank you.
jefields
you are welcome and good luck. In a blue, gray or green eye atropine can take 7-14 days to wear off completely.

in a recent state of the art symposium on multifocal IOLs the Crystalens was the most highly rated of the three available in the US the other two being ReStor and ReZoom.

JCH III MD
I'm guessing that with brown eyes, being less sensitive to light, the atropine might wear off sooner...or not.

Thanks for your encouraging words. I actually have confidence that this is going to work well. I am already amazed at the difference in colors.

Judith
Overall satisfaction one year after surgery was very high over 90%.

Good luck Judity.

JCH III MD