Eye Care Expert Forum
Cataract surgery on eye with corneal disease
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cataract surgery on eye with corneal disease

I have been diagnosed with Pellucid Marginal Degeneration, and, before I was diagnosed, I had lasik on that eye, Now I have learned I have a cataract in that eye. I am concerned that there may be a chance that I will end up worse off than before if I have the cataract surgery. The only thing I notice from the cataract is increased sensitivity to direct bright sunlight. But, since I have the PMD, there may be other cataract symptoms that are masked by the PMD condition. So I guess my question is this: Are the risks of cataract surgery complicated by the PMD, and am I at greater risk of decreased visual accuity if I have the cataract surgery?

Thank you for any input
Related Discussions
1731421_tn?1358826971
Hi tideho. Your question: Are the risks of cataract surgery complicated by the PMD, and am I at greater risk of decreased visual accuity if I have the cataract surgery?
Yes and No. The general risks of cataract surgery (infection, pain, loss of vision) are no worse with PMD (generally speaking). The risk of visual problems (glare, worsening astigmatism, loss of Best Corrected vision) are probably worse since you have Pellucid (PMD) and have had LASIK. It is more difficult to measure for the IOL (implant) after LASIK and especially since you have PMD. I don't think you are at greater risk of decreased visual acuity if you have cataract surgery, but you should be able to ask this question to the ophthalmologist: Is the cataract visually significant (is it interfering with my vision). If the answer is yes, then you should proceed witht the cataract surgery. If the answer is no, then wait (months or years) until the answer is yes. Best wishes!
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
2078052_tn?1331936700
Doreen Fazio, M.D.Blank
Amerisight Institute and Valley Eye Center
Van Nuys, CA
1731421_tn?1358826971