Eye Care Expert Forum
Cataract surgery on one eye - lens selection
About This Forum:

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cataract surgery on one eye - lens selection

I'm 54 year old with cataract in left eye which developed within six months of surgery to repair retinal detachment. I have been near sighted in both eyes for years. I've been wearing multifocal contact lenses for years. (4.5 in right and 4.25 in left) I am very confused about which type of lens I should choose, multifocal and standard, for my cataract surgery. I am afraid of developing dizziness. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
2078052_tn?1331936700
I would not recommend a multifocal implant in the setting of a prior retinal detachment surgery.  The retina problem can cause some decrease in contrast sensitivity, which will be increased by the multifocal implant (which always causes some decline in contrast sensitivity).  Contrast sensitivity is the ability to detect objects under certain conditions, such as in a fog, dusk, dimmer light, etc).  I would recommend the monofocal implant.  If you want to be able to read without glasses, the surgeon will select an implant power to leave you nearsighted (perhaps -2.25 or -2.50).  Remember that with this power, you will need glasses for distance, such as TV and driving.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
233488_tn?1310696703
John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
Discover Vision Centers of Kansas City
Kansas City, MO
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now