Eye Care Community
Cataract surgery under 40?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cataract surgery under 40?

Hello!

I'm new on this site but I have read a lot of posts here for some weeks. I have been searching many questions but I haven't found the answers I need.
First, I start with the problem I have: I have JRA since the age of 11 months and have got steroids since around the age of 1 year. Due to steroids I always have had some arthritis cataract. Now I'm 30 and the cataract started to puzzle my eyesight a bit. But it wasn't the problem I went to a specialist with last year. My eyes inflamed from a long-time computer usage and my mom frightened. There the doctors said it's cataract which can be operated. Then I wasn't so afraid of it as now. The doctor who examined me said only a few words about the surgery and I was looking for it at home on the Internet. I was searching a lot, for almost everything about this topic, and now, this month I was talking to the doctor who took over the surgery from the other doc. We talked about all the kind of lenses that are available now - anyway, I'm from Europe - and about the severity of the cataract. He said that the cataract isn't so sever but it's in wrong position, in the centre of my eye lens, and offered the monofocal lens because of the low risks. He mentioned Restore multifocals and he had quite a bad opinion about Crystalens because none of his patients were satisfied with this lens. I don't want multifocal at all because of the halos, glares and other problems, nor the Crystalens but other accomodative lens could be considered. I read about Synchrony, Tetraflex and other options but I still don't know which is the best and most of them are under tests. My doctor said the drawback of the Synchrony is that it's from 2 parts and Tetraflex is almost the same as Crystalens - the result cannot be predicted and the accomodation is very low. I understand it and I agree but I don't really want to see only in one distance. The doc said there is a way that the monofocal for distance can be set for intermediate as well. Anyway, he doesn't offer monovision - maybe because of my JRA bacause it wouldn't be too safe for me if I fell. BTW I can see in all distances, even the small letters, but sometimes distant reading vision isn't perfect. As for my habits: I love reading, doing crossword puzzles, crafting, and all the things which need very good near or close-up vision, furthermore I'm a kind of artist and go to an artists' club every week. Moreover, one of my biggest activities is using the computer. I mostly work on it, so I use it half a day almost every day. And another hobby is watching TV. So I mostly need near and intermediate vision, but distance vision is also a must. I don't really want glasses, especially not for reading and near tasks - I don't want to lose my good sight for near and seeing small things -, rather than distant things. So I'm thinking of monofocal for intermediate with near vision, but my fear that how I will see at distant. Could someone say how blurred the vision with intermediate will be to distance? And how near can I see with intermediate with some near vision? Or which accomodative lens worth it to implant? Or shall I wait for some time for better lenses?

My vision: 0.8 D and 0.95 D - as I guessed these are around 20/20-20/25 (J1-J2).

The doctor also said some patients get a really good vision with good intermediate and near vision, some can read normal letters as well with monofocal for distance but I don't really trust in this because I have had so many problems with medicines and cures that worked to others.

So could anyone help me in this question? (The surgery would be 14 February if I'm in)

Thank you!

Anita
I would not recommend surgery.  No IOLs will give you the same vision you have now.  You are  20/20 to 20/25 at distance and see 20/20 to 20/30 at near.  No lens will give you the same level of accommodation and optical quality.  Also, the post op healing will not be normal unless your JRA is completely inactive in your eyes.

Dr. O.
Thank you for your reply, doctor Oyakawa. I don't know exactly whether my JRA is inactive in my eyes but I know it's not inactive in my whole body. As for the surgery, my thought is the same. I would rather wait for some time until the cataract will be more severe or I will be older.
Thank you again for your fast answer.