Cataract surgery with Silicone oil still inside the eye
Hi, I tried to look trough search feature, but didn't find naything usefull, but I guess there are many with the same problem and would benefit from this, maybe :)
So here's my story, retinal detachment last year in May, re-detachment in June, fixed in July, but with some litle fluid under the retina. Third operation took place in December, and after that on every exam retina looked good... But in April I started to see things little bit harder, cataract was more and more intense, now, 2 months after, it's even worse, in last week or so, I can see my pupil is turning white, in the darker condition I cant see almost nothing at that eye, in daylight I can still see some things, but there is lot of glare, but I can see my hand, how many fingers are there etc... I guess that is because of the cataract, white vision (milky), and not able to see at dark, I understand the light can't get trough to retina...

My surgeon told me that he's going to do operation in the fall, not sooner, because he want's retina to be 100% stable I guess, or he's booked at summer...

So, my question is, if the retina is stable, and at the operation to remove oil, they do cataract extraction and replacement of the lens, what is the risk of the new RD, if the eye is secured with lots of laser barrages, is it better to leave silicone oil inside, and with silicone oil inside, is there less risk for RD to happen again? I'm 27 yr old male.

There is always a small risk of rd with the cataract surgery.  Leaving the silicone oil would not give as good vision, but there is less risk or a recurrent RD.

Dr. O.
Thx dr. Ray, I cant wait to get rid of that cataract, with silicone oil, I had good vision, not excellent, but very good, I could see faces, watch TV (couldn't read subtitles) but all in all, it was helpful, and it was clear, but now it's all very blurry, and like looking trough white glass, only good vision is at very bright light.

Once again, thanks, and I wish you and dr. Hagan all the best for 4th of July.

Robert