Eye Care Expert Forum
Cataract surgery with corneal scarring from ulcer

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Hi, I was wondering if there is any increased risk of complications with cataract surgery where there is a history of persistent conjunctivitis, dry eye and scarring from a corneal ulcer? My mum has been on maxidex for 3 years for the inflammation. Thank-you
She might be at increased risk of inflammation after cataract surgery, depending on the specific diagnosis.  She might require more frequent use of strong topical steroids after the surgery, and needs to be under the care of a good ophthalmologist to monitor her throughout her post-op course.