Cataracts and floaters
Dr. Hagan,

I have already posted two questions on this forum about my cataract situation.  And I thank you very much for your wonderful responses.  I have received excellent answers to both of them.  However, I need to ask one more question.  

I am a 55 year old man.  I have a cataract in the right eye only.  I am fairly near-sighted (-5.00) in the left eye.  I plan to have surgery in only the right eye and wear a contact lens in the left eye.  In the right eye, which has the cataract, I also see floaters.  I almost always see some kind of squiggly floater line in my right eye.  Is there any relationship between the fact that I have a cataract in my right eye and seeing floaters in that same eye?  Should the fact that I see floaters in that eye affect my plans to have cataract surgery in that eye?  Will the floaters be more or less noticible after the cataract surgery?

Thanks again for all your great answers.
While there are some rare cases where the floaters and cataract are related (chronic uveitis and secondary cataracts) the overwhelming number of cases of floaters and cataracts are incidental and related by the fact that both increase in number as we age.

Generally floaters are MORE visible after surgery. I usually tell people this prior to surgery otherwise they "blame" the floaters on cataract surgery.

Good luck.

JCH MD