Eye Care Expert Forum
Cataracts can't be taken out?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Cataracts can't be taken out?

Recently I was told by my retinal specialist that removing my cataracts was to much of a risk, far greater than the regular risk factors the surgery already poses. She told me that if I really wanted to have them removed they would take them out but that it would only slightly improve my vision. I asked if it would make me not legally blind anymore, she said no and with all of the other diseases and issues I have going on with my eyes I would probably be facing repeated retinal detachment and surgery for the rest of my life. Again, I was asked about being a diabetic from the technician that has been doing my OCT pictures for the last 6 months.

Is that type of situation common? I have never heard of cataracts not being able to be taken out. And, I am not a diabetic, I have issues where my blood sugar will drop suddenly but I was told that it was an unfortunate side effect of battling anorexia on and off for the last 19 years. I have had numerous blood test for diabetes even while I was pregnant but nothing ever raised concerns to my doctors. Is this something I should bring up at my next appointment? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You did not say what your specific retinal problems are.  If you are highly myopic (nearsighted), there is an increased risk of retinal tear/detachment after cataract surgery.  This risk applies to anyone who has cataract surgery, but is higher in those who are very nearsighted. I would consult with an expert cataract surgeon in your area, and have the cataract surgeon discuss this with your retina specialist.  You probably will be able to undergo cataract surgery.  The vision which can be achieved after the cataract surgery will be dictated by the condition of your retina and macula (center of the retina).
Well, I have 3 different cataracts in my left eye and 2 different cataracts in my right eye, Degenerative Myopia, 6 retinal holes (3 in each eye), Retinoschisis, Cystoid Macular Edema (which has not responded to treatment and they don't know why) and Cystoid Macular Degeneration. Currently my best corrected VA in my left eye is 20/350 and my right eye is 20/400, legal blindness. They believe genetics are the cause of these problems so I am seeing a Genetic retinal specialist in a few days. They don't know what the future holds and they do believe my vision will get worse over time but maybe not to much worse. Therefore, they are going to leave them in for the foreseeable future. I'm sure at some point they will consult with the Cataract specialist in the practice about the surgery but for now they are trying to find out what is going on.