Eye Care Expert Forum
Cataracts in child under 8

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Cataracts in child under 8

My daughter has had glasses since the age of 5.  Her right eye has an astigmatism and is 20/40.  Her left eye is 20/20.  We just recently went in for her yearly checkup and found that she also has a cataract in her right eye.  Everything I have read online says that cataracts at this age are caused by disease such as diabetes.  But my daughter is very healthy and hasn't had any disease or sickness.  It is really bothering me that I can't find an answer and we won't be able to get her into the specialist until the end of the month.  If anyone has been in this situation please any info would be appreciated.
Dear mamacleatus3113,

18% of children with cataracts may be inherited.  Other causes may include eye injury, use of medications such as corticosteroids and other causes. I would recommend that you take your daughter to an eyeMD to undergo a complete eye examination and make sure that the diagnosis is correct and what treatment is recommended.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California