Eye Care Expert Forum
Cataracts

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Cataracts

Hi MD,

I had my natural len in my left eye only removed & a new traditional IOL had been implanted (inner not outer) when I was 10 Yrs old and now I'm 33 Yrs. Right now, the implanted len had deviated a little bit and I see things a bit blurry or when I look around lights I feel like I can see double vision of the lights only through the effected light (left one).. My questions are:

1. What is the best solution and the safety concerns for the eye in this condition. Note that I like to play sports (soccer). Could I just leave it like that and then if the implanted falls then I can have another implant (safer way)? Is there a procedure where the implanted len can be adjusted in position (how safe is this procedure)??

2. If the current implanted len falls; can I decide not to do anything further and simply use thicker glasses without doing any further implantation. Would I be able to see clearly 100% with the glasses without inner/outer implanted lens.

Thanks a lot.

1) it all depends how scarrred in place the lens is.  Ask your surgeon what the chances of it moving more is.  If high, you may want to switch it out for a more stable lens that goes in the "sulcus" of the eye.  All procedures with the lens though would be considered risky so get a couple of opinions before deciding.

2) A loose lens in your vitreous cavity is dangerous and could damage your retina in theory so most likely a retina specialist would have to take it out if it falls back.

HV

Thanks MD for your response. To follow up on your reply:

1. What kind of risks if a medical intervention took place by taking out the old IOL and implanting a new one. is it like i might lose ability to see through  my left eye .. chance of this happening percentage-wise?? is this a common procedure??

2. If the lens falls back then i won't be able to see. BUT my question here is: if the old IOL is taken out, but i choose not to implant a new lens; would i be able to see 100% perfect with a thicker glasses for my left eye (WITHOUT implanting a new IOL).

3. Is there a procedure (safe one) out there which could fix the position of the IOL. how safe is this procedure and is it common.

Thanks MD.

1) It all depends what your eye looks like.  Your surgeon should be able to address these questions better.  Not a common procedure but experienced surgeons will have done quite a few of them over their careers.  Major worry is damage leading to retinal detachment afterwards.

2) Vision will be compromised unless you wear a thick contact lens in that eye.  Better option is to put a different lens back in.

3) Some surgeons suture the lens back in place with minor manipulations.  Called iris fixation.  Not all surgeons could do this though so you need to do your research if that is what you want.  This could also only be done only with certain lenses, so important to know what lens you have in your eye.

HV