Eye Care Community
Cayenne pepper

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Cayenne pepper

Does cayenne pepper make the pupil smaller or whiten red eyes? I heard of it before but I forgot. ???
Avatar dr m tn
Cayenne pepper (CP) is an extremly strong eye irritant (like tear gas) and the pupil will usually be dilated not from the pepper but from the pain and excitement of gettin it in the eye. CP sprays are used for self protection from human criminals and animals like bears. In spite of its dramatic effect on the eye it is unusual for it to cause permanent damage.

JCH MD