Eye Care Community
Central Serous Retinopathy (CSR) and Sinus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

I am a 37 year old male.  I was diagonized for CSR on my right eye about a year and half ago.  I dont have CSR now - seems fully cured.  I no longer see the oval grey spot from my right eye.  However about the same time around one and half years now I am having sneezing and Sinus related issues.  I visited a lot of ENT specialists and nothing seems to work.  The days I have more runny nose and sneezing, I am having slight head aches and a very slight pain on my right eye.  I am not sure if both are connected.  Can anyone suggest any remedy for my problem.

P.S - I live in Dubai and the dust pollution here is very high.  I tried allergy medication as well, but is only for temprory use.

Thank you for your help.
central serous retinopathy is not related to or caused by sinus problems.

JCH MD
Dear John,

Thanks for your response.  Highly appreciated.  Is the vice versa true - I mean can CSR cause Sinus.  Or is that the reason for both CSR and Sinus could be the same.

I am really sufferring from continuous sneezing and runny nose and all medication I have taken till date is only giving me temrprory relief.  I try to understand the reason for this so that I can take proper corrective action.

Once again appreciate your help in this.

Nataraj.
No each is a separate problem neither causes the other.

JCH MD
CSR = DUE TO STRESS.  The text book symptoms are a healthy young stressful males with a sudden unilateral loss of vision.  
The idea of stress causing CSR is outmoded and the ophthalmology profession and clinical research has moved away from stress as a cause.

JCH MD
Dear John,
I'm diagnosed with CSR (in early stages). I work in Nuclear Industry in round the clock shifts. Can you please suggest what could be the causes in developing CSR disorder and and how to overcome it.

With regards

Reddy V V
CSR is of unknown cause. The last case in my office was a secretary and the one before that a lawyer. It is certainly not your hours or your industry.

In CSR for reasons that are unknow small defects develop in one of the layers of the retina allowing fluid to leak from the wet choroid layer to under the dry retina layer creating a small blister like area that is seen as a spot.

With or without treatment is ususually goes away and often leave the vision normal but it can leave some blurring. It can reoccur.

JCH MD
Thanks for your information on CSR. I would like to know further that whether is there any medicine or treatment other than laser which will bring down the blurrness?? How can one control further aggravation? Are there any techniques/ practices which will reduce the blurrness??
In Yoga, there are certain eye related exercises, like thrataka..do they help alleviate the problem or aggravate under these circumstances??

regards

Reddy V V
Yoga won't help. Generally CSR is NOT associated with neovascular membranes so VEGF inhibitors aren't needed. Steroids in its multiple forms have been used for many years but there is no controled study showing it will help.

No you will not aggravate it by using it or exercise or dealing with the stresses of life.

JCH MD
I am 8 months 31 year old woman diagnised with CSR for the last 2 months. Today i feel its getting worse. What are the things that i should take care of so as to prevent any worse situation since i am pregnant. I am very much worried as the doc cannot do any treatment on me until deliver my baby in January.
Pls suggest me something. Does avoiding computer work will prevent worse situation. I have a 40 hrs a week computer related job.

Veena
I m 26 year man. I dignosed with CSR before 10 months then i go for angiography and CSR detected in my left eye.  Doctor given me steroids for tretment. After compliting Steroids tretment there was no Problem with CSR to me but before 6 months it was recurrance in the same eye and this time it is worth condition of my eye.  I m not able to read even larg fonts also.  Please suggest me best tretment for CSR-recurrance.

Thanks: Rajiv
Use the search feature and archives to read about CSR, also read the section on emedicine. Reoccurences are common, treatment is generally waiting, steroids, argon laser/visudyne or trial of VEGF inhibitors. Important to be sure no choroidal neovascularization has developed.

JCH MD
I'm at my wits end with worry about my husband.  He has been dealing with what has been diagnosed as CSR for over 6 years.  He is 56 years old and has had several bouts of CSR.  Recently he has developed an occurrence so severe that he has taken to wearing an eye patch because the distortion in his vision is making it so difficult to function because it is in his dominant eye.  He has now been diagnosed with macular degeneration in the other eye which is not yet affecting his vision in that eye.  He is seeing a prominent retina specialist in the Houston Medical center but this guy says there is nothing that can be done for either condition.  I have read about medication for macular degeneration that has some success and wonder if he should be taking this medication.  I also worry that he has been misdiagnosed with CSR because of him being 50 when he had his first bout.  My husband is feeling like this recent CSR is going to be permanent for some reason.  Does this happen?  I am feeling like we should at least cover our bases and get a second opinion but don't know who to go to.  Do you have any advice?
Yes, there are multiple things that can be done to slow down "dry" age related macular degeneration (ARMD).  They have all been covered here in this forum and you should be able to pull up with search feature on this page and archives.

Most important is take a multivitamin daily and either two Preservision AREDS formula and one 20 mgm lutein/day  or one vitamin and two Preservision with lutein/day. BE SURE YOU HUSBAND DOES NOT SMOKE.

My recommendation would be to get an independent retinal evaluation from a different retina group. (Texas Retina Associates is well thought of).

JCH MD
He has the wet type.  He has never smoked.  My questions were mostly related to the CSR though.  Do you have any ideas on those questions?
No I don't. We do not know why "holes" develop in the retinal pigmented epethelium causing fluid or abnormal blood vessels to develop.

You can go to www.emedicine.com and read the entry if you want all the physician level information.

JCH MD
I would recommend Dr Mike Lambert in Houston. He is very highly regarded and I have seen him myself. He is EXTREMELY expensive though so make sure you have good insurance before going there. I can give you contact details if you like.
-
Thanks.  I guess I'm still trying to figure out whether to get another opinion or not.  Husband has an appointment next week with his retina specialist, Dr Charles Garcia.  We are going to ask him about possible medication for the macular degeneration.  I would also like to see if he will say something to my husband to give him some hope that the current flare up of the CSR will get better.  I do believe he is a good doctor, I'm just frustrated about the whole thing which is nothing compared to what my husband has been going thru.  He is lucky that the macular degeneration in the left eye is not affecting his vision right now.  What I also don't know is how this condition progresses.  If he has it in that eye and it is not in his central vision, will it progress to the point where it is affecting his vision?
-
Dear JCH,
           I am 22 year old female. I was diagonised with CSR on my right eye 2 days back. I am really worried about it as no medicine is suggested for it. I Just completed my software engineering and going to join work in a month or two. My work will be completely before system and i find tough to sit before system for many hours.My consultant told it will be vanished in a month or two. But after reading to reviews i dont feel so. Can i be able to work well in system all day soon???

Dear JCH ,
my husband who is 35 yrs old has been diagnosed CSR in his right eye & internal swelling in the left eye. Being a software proffssional he has to work overnights & has a very hectic schedule. he has to continuously work on the computer for 14-15 hrs. what all precautions should we take kindly help.
regards
bhavna sharma
I am a 25 year old male who was diagnosed of CSR in the right eye 10 days ago. But doctors said i had this problem for quite some time after the angiogram was done. I had blurred and oval vision. Doctors laser treatment is the only solution and fixed the date for jan092010. I wanted to make sure it doesn't recur so i tried homeopathic medicine from the past 1 week and my vision has improved. I have been advised to stop taking processed foods,coffee,tea,pickleand fried foods. I started drinking milk, started eating fruits and vegetables along with codliver oil tablets. I request people suffering from CSR to try homeopathic medicine as they don't have steroids or any side effects and also they are cheap compared to any other form of medicine.
I am a 36year old male who is diagnosed recently of CSR in the right eye. You are referring to homeopathic medicine, kindly mention the homeo medicines you are treated with. Also, please suggest homeo doctor you visited (city, etc).
Thanks in advance
My dad is 62 years and he is diagnosed recently with CSR in his left eye. I heard that CSR happens only in males from 20 to 50 only. Is he suffering from AMD? or could it be CSR at 62? Also what are chances of his recovery at this age as their is no known treatment.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,,
It is good to u r better now. Can u please tell me what kinda homeopathy u tried and also where. Where I am there is no such thing. Thanks a lot your help will be appreciated.
God bless.
Hello nataraj,

I have tried writing to you before. I wanted how did your CSR got better. Which doctor you saw in Dubai? What treatment you had? Your help will be highly appreciated. Also how long did it take to get better?
Thanks,
Nasreen123
RE: "No you will not aggravate it by using it or exercise ".
From my experience I noticed when I started a new intense program (weight lifting) in a gym IT GOT WORSE. I gave up gym and it improved. OCT showed it healed (therefore I still had a blind spot).  Recently I return to gym and did just  treadmills and other aerobic  (25-30 min ~165 bpm) and no weight lifting and it returns.
And about stress I didn't have any stress at all when it happened. When I was really stressed a few times in my life I'd never knew what is CSR.
I suspect intense exercises and related to it hypertension caused it in my case. NO STRESS.
Its a fun to watch how medicine progress on stem cells and can modify DNA but has no clue how to treat this simple disease.
i was diagnosed with CSR about a year ago after an attack, symptoms have occurred again and I have been researching the condition. I am a master,s prepared Registered Nurse.
The majority of content I have found links  CSR to stress and predisposition. An increase in cortisol levels has also been linked to CSR episodes. Cortisol is a natural hormone produced by our bodies to help us cope with stress. My opthamologist also stated that the best treatment for CSR is to take a vacation. I am a Manager of a busy 120 bed long term care facility and this classifies as a stressful occupation. Interestingly, CSR has also been linked to Air Traffic Controllers as an example of a stressful occupation and there is research which demonstrates a higher rate of the condition in Air Traffic Controllers.
There are many other occupations which are considered highly stressfull one being the nursing profession, as well as most other healthcare
professions. The link between CSR episodes and increased cortisol levels establishes a physiological explanation as well as confirms the mind-body connection.
Stress is our natural response to perceived or actual threats to our safety or security. The response is controlled by our sympathetic nervous system and is automatic, however, can be controlled by our non-sympathetic nervous system by truing the mind and stress management .
I have found that in my case the CSR symptoms that I experience are worse when I am in stressful situation, I have also found that fluorescent lighting seems to aggravate the symptoms and reading or working on a computer causes eye pain, headaches and even dizziness. During severe attacks it is even difficult to walk as the ground appears concave.
I have also read about several different types of treatments, including rest and relaxation, nutritional supplements such as lutein and multivitamins.
I hope Tunis information is helpful and thank you for letting me express my experiences with the condition
I was been diagnose CSR in the left eye before 3 months which was almost disappered in 6 to 8 weeks and since last two days I am having the same condition a gray spot in the centre of the eye with blurred vision.
Kindly help me suggesting some precautions so this does not get worse and does not recure again. I dont smoke now since first CSR diagnose that is since 3 months.
SPS Rajput
is it possible to continue to work up to 45hours a week with a new diagnosis of a severe case of CSCR will this make it worse are constant headaches associated with this condition
thanks
sorry forgot to say 45hour week on the computer
just got diagnosed with CSR today after about 1 weeks worth of the symptoms.  got the workup...no i'm not a type A personality, have very low stress and have no family history of eye problems.  I work out heavy 5 days a week and am only on a daily multivitamin, protein and a pre workout supplement called 'jack3d".  My Dr. looked up the ingredients and concluded that my CSR was due to the ingredient known as Schizandrol A...which acts to counter stress ( so the web site says).  But everything I read...including your comments on here...says that the cause of CSR is  unknown.  The Dr. said that I needed to stay away from ALL workout supplements and only take protein.  Kinda sounded like he was anti supplements all the way.  Have you ever heard anything like this???
If you work out in a gym keep n mind that strenuous exercises can cause CSR. I'm pretty sure it caused mine. I quitted gym and have no CSR, when I back to it it is a matter of couple of months before I get a new leak.
Exercise can release cortisol into your body as much as stress
Yes, I believe that bad coughing spells from bronchitis caused my CSR about 7 months ago. I was coughing so hard that I was gagging. I think that physical stress and exertion can make CSR occur. Is that true? I am a 59 year old male, and I think that my CSR will not go away on its own. I will probably have treatment in a few months.
A SECOND OPINION IS NOT NECESSARILY A BETTER OPINION BUT WHAT I DO SUGGEST IS THAT YOU FOLLOW A AGGRESSIVE TREATMENT PLAN OVER A WAIT AND SEE PLAN TO REDUCE FLUID BUILD UP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE BEFORE PERMANENT SCARRING OF THE MACULA OCCURS. OFTEN OPTHOMALOGISTS WILL HAVE YOU COMING BACK AGAIN AND AGAIN TO MILK THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEM AS MUCH AS THEY CAN OR THEY WILL DELAY THE MORE LENGTHY PROCEDURES TO SAVE TIME DUE TO THE LONG LINEUPS IN THE EYE CLINICS
The medical profession now understands csr.  It is now known that steroids cause them in most cases.