Eye Care Expert Forum
Central Serous Retinopathy and Undifferentiated Ankylosing Spondylitis?...

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

Central Serous Retinopathy and Undifferentiated Ankylosing Spondylitis?
I am a 43 year old female who was recently (April 2009) diagnosed with central serous retinopathy (CSR) when I noticed blurred vision in my left eye.  A month previously I had also begun experiencing extreme fatigue, sore throat, rapid heart rate (this has since cleared), and buzzing and tingling sensations in my lower extremities.  We have ruled out MS, vasculitis and lupus.  The internist suggested the possibility of undifferentiated ankylosing spondylitis (uAS), as I also developed sore knees and low back pain at around the same time, but the rheumatologist did not seem to agree.  I know that it can take years to diagnose uAS, but I am curious.

Are CSR and paresthesia suggestive of uAS (given the knee and low back pain)?  When I stop taking anti-inflammatories (ibuprofin) my knee and back pain return, as does the paresthesia in my knees, feet and groin, which seems to indicate some kind of nerve compression is taking place.

Thanks!
Dear vancouverlaura,

Ankylosing spondylitis may be associated with HLAB27; therefore, performing this test might be of help for you.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California